Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

It’s Been a Good Two Weeks (Encore Episode 126) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

This week’s episode of Encore looks at a lot of the music that’s come out in the past few weeks, specifically: The Hotelier, PUP, Thrice, and Saosin. We also look at the new music from Descendents, Sum 41, Yellowcard, and A Day to Remember. Plus, there’s a nice tangent all about Less Than Jake, because those guys are still somehow not given enough credit for how awesome they are. This is a fun one! We hope you like it.

Hosts + More

Show Notes

• Hello! We talk about food, Blue Apron, life.
    • A lot of great albums have come out over the past few weeks from Modern Baseball, Thrice, Saosin, The Hotelier, PUP, etc. We run through them a bit, talk about which we’ve listened to and which we’re enjoying, and briefly analyze their performance on the sales charts.
    • News: A new Descendents album with a very Descendents-y name (Hypercaffium Spazzinate) was just announced, and there’s a new single.
    • Non-news: We unexpectedly spend a lot of time talking about Less Than Jake, which is great.
    • News: Yellowcard will release their self-titled album this fall. This is their eighth record.
    • News: Sum 41 announced a new album as well; unlike Yellowcard’s new album, the Sum 41 record features Guns’n’Roses-y album art and very metal-sounding song titles. It’ll be called 13 Voices.
    • A Day To Remember, which is a quietly fascinating band for both of us, will release a new album called Bad Vibrations and we have a new song from that as well. Thomas wrote about it a bit on his blog.
    • JT Recommends: Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline.
    • TN Recommends: Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari and One More Thing by BJ Novak; two Batman collections, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, which I wrote about; Hostage Calm’s Die On Stage.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Email us if you’re interesting in promoting a good or service via a sponsorship on our podcast.

Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Ready Player One was such a cool book.

3. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

I am now interested in getting in to comics (digitally). I always have been I just needed that little push and the discussion throughout the past couple of podcasts have acted as the the tipping point.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Seriously though... LTJ are simply the best

morken, Jason Tate and aoftbsten like this.
  5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

If anyone here hasn't seen Less Than Jake live, I highly recommend you catch them next they come through your area. Extremely fun show.

6. kylethrash

Didn't answer my question from last week :-/

7. timcsheehan

Regular

I Haven't gotten into Japandroids but I love Pup and The Menzingers. Which record should i check out first?

8. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i'm glad the RP1 film will (reportedly) tone down the excessive pop culture references. i really liked the book but i felt that it over-relied on making obscure references solely for the sake of fan service and 80's nostalgia. Spielberg directing is perfect.

9. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Celebration Rock. I firmly believe everyone should listen to this album in the summer, very loud with the windows down. It ALMOST makes me miss driving.

morken likes this.
  10. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Listened to the first half and was hoping for more discussion on the new Modern Baseball album and how it charted. What are you feelings on the album Jason? I know you weren't the biggest fan of their other releases

11. Pokemon

Hey, just came in to say that Less Than Jake has been my favorite band since 2002 and I was glad to hear you sing their praises so much on the show. I agree that they deserve way more respect than they get. Their live shows are always fun, you said they were in top 4 live bands to see live, who are the other three?

Also, it really sucks how we are getting no new ska bands. Two ska albums this century outside of Big D and the Kids Table and Streetlight Manifesto that I've really enjoyed were Peculiar by The Slackers and Searching for a Melody by Westbound Train.

12. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Great work boys, been listening since the early days.

Pup actually received a 7.8 from Pitchfork. This indie/punk/fourth wave emo segment of bands seems to be getting grouped together by the Pitchforks and Stereogums of the world and are really earning a lot of critical respect.

It seems like the Pitchfork editors in particular are saying, yes hype these bands up and give them the good reviews they deserve, but don't quite want to pull the pin on handing any of them a Best New Album accolade.
    Pup: 7.8
    Modern Baseball: 7.7
    The Hotelier: 8.0
    Jank: 7.9

I expect the next Brand New album to get a review on there and I think if they knock it out the park (again) they could break that levee and receive a BNM. Can totally see Pitchfork basically saying: "All these fourth wave emo and indie/punk bands you like now? This is the band that started it all." The BNT for I Am A Nightmare has gotten the ball rolling.

13. timcsheehan

Regular

holy shit. this is fantastic.

14. J.Dick

Regular

Pretty sure I bought a download of Filmage directly from the Filmage website for $5 or so.

LTJ is an amazing band.

15. Heh, the behind the scenes stuff I've heard from some writers ... makes me think it's coming from the top.

16. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Hmm that's interesting, I suppose Cohen is pretty high up there and has some influence. Really, in terms of indie rock, it's one of the most fertile subgenres around right now. I'd love a retrospective devil and god review since pitchfork (rightly) attributes much of the current 'fourth wave' crop's sound to the seeds sown (pun intended) on that record.
    Some new JEW reviews to make up for the awful ones originally posted would be welcome also...