Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Issues - Headspace (May 20, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by indecipherable, Apr 27, 2016.

1. marceting

Trusted

Some songs are misses but a like a majority of this album. Fun, catchy and technical.

2. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I like this album a lot more than I was expecting to. I'm not entirely sure why, because I didn't enjoy their debut and the EP, I just kinda expected them to disappoint with this one. But I actually think it might be their best. Michael's screaming is so unnecessary at this point though, he's not even good at it and his singing is a lot better than the screaming.

3. carina

yr royal highness

Really impressed by this album, still stuck on "Coma" and "Slow Me Down," gonna be bummed if I don't hear "Yung & Dum" at a baseball game this summer. When I say impressed, I mean, I thought their previous writing was corny and the lyrics on this are a huge step up. Not an award-winning worthy body of work imo, but it's fun.
    I hate "Blue Wall." It's a bad song and they could've kept it.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  4. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I do enjoy the new album but I still prefer their debut.

5. red8ge

Regular

What the hell do you all think about this album six months removed

6. JamesMichael

Still prefer the first album overall but there is some bangers on the new record.

The Realest and Coma are two of my favourite songs of the year.

7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Easily their best as far as I'm concerned, instrumentally much more interesting and they focused on their strengths which are most notably catchiness and Tyler's singing.

8. tumbleweedterror

music is all we got

It's the best thing they've done so far, and the best thing to come out of the Risecore scene in a long time. I re-listened the other day and I'm still so impressed by this record, musically, lyrically, and especially vocally. Front to back a great record.

9. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

I don't find myself coming back to it as often as I expected. When I do listen I still enjoy it but it didn't hook me like the first LP did.

10. jrock920

Regular

i wore it out by september i still love it though

11. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

listened today, starts off strong, middle section has some duds that makes it drag, but closes really strong.

These guys have a 8.5+/10 album in them if they keep going

12. JamesMichael

13. red8ge

Regular

Glad tbh, I think all the screams brought down the band's potential.

14. Best case scenario for this band. Wish it'd happened on that last record, he ruined some otherwise decent songs.

JamesMichael and beachdude42 like this.
  15. beachdude

Totally agreed that this is the best thing for this band. Very excited for what’s next.

JamesMichael likes this.
  16. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

I'm very excited for the upcoming album, but it'll not be the same without Micheal. I like the genre blending, scream/sing style cause they balance out otherwise monotonous metal songs or oversaturated pop songs.

I loved Micheals voice, and his (few) cleans were my favorite part of the last album, and it's awful he was kicked out of a band he founded, but as long as the band continues to make good music then it's fine.

17. DroppingDemPounds89

Regular

without michael im expecting a heavier slaves

18. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I like Michael but I think forcing songs to have screamed vocals kind of ruined songs on the last record. I'm looking forward to the new stuff, it can't be worse than the last album which I didn't like.

Nate_Johnson and trevorshmevor like this.
  19. red8ge

Regular

i don't think they'll be any less heavy. skyler is a real head when it comes to cool shit in the genre, and in that aspect michael had really typical metalcore guy range so it only lent itself to a very boring kind of heavy

20. DroppingDemPounds89

Regular

the accord brothers are the truth

21. Tyler was on Lead Singer Syndrome recently and gives a lot of insight into what happened with Michael and what the band’s future looks like. In short, he basically confirms that Michael just simply couldn’t keep up and that they spent a lot of the Headspace sessions hamfisting him into parts because they felt they weren’t allowed to write a song without him.

Tyler also says this is the most time the band has ever had to write and prepare for a record. He says they’ve written about 48 songs, that there is potential for screaming on the record but only if it comes organically — they’re not going to write a part just to have it. He also says he wants to make sure the record has a much better flow and overall message, because he felt like he didn’t have anything to say on Headspace. They begin recording in October.

Overall I’m actually pretty excited to see what happens here. I usually find bands like this one to be laughably bad, but have always seen a potential in Issues to make something really cool. Still holding out hope that’s true!

beachdude42 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  22. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

What do you mean that he couldn’t keep up? In that he vocally wasn’t up to par? Or more that he couldn’t write parts that were appropriate?

I wouldn’t mind if issues moved to have barely any screaming, similar to what I See Stars did on Treehouse

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. beachdude

I thought Headspace was already a sizable improvement on all their previous work... I'm actually really excited to see where they go now without Michael.

24. It seemed pretty clear on Headspace that the band wanted to try incorporating different influences into their sound, but Michael was really limited in that. Sounds like he didn’t really bring anything new to the table, and the rest of the band were left sacrificing other parts they really liked that fit better so that they could have a heavy part for him to scream on. It also sounds like they basically forced him to start singing as a means to get him to fit into more parts, but that he didn’t really enjoy doing it at all

beachdude42 likes this.
  25. JamesMichael

I saw them live during the Headspace era and to be honest Michael sounded shot a lot of the times singing. I don’t think he was quite there with changing from screaming to singing in parts.

Headspace was a weird album for me there were parts I really liked but a lot I didn’t. Personally I thought their debut was stronger as a whole. The comment about Tyler not having much to say rings true thinking back to the album.

Stoked for the new album although I’m surprised they haven’t started recording yet. That said I want them to take their time as it will be a make or break for the band I think at this point.

sawhney[rusted]2 and beachdude42 like this.