Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Issues - Headspace (May 20, 2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by indecipherable, Apr 27, 2016.

1. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

I guess I wasn't clear, I'm distracted with all the Brand New news haha. Do you not like his screaming either?

2. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

I don't mind Michael's more rock style singing, the "scream the verses sing the chorus" formula in metalcore has gotten so stale. Having another vocal style added helps freshen things up imo.

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. Haha, all good. A lot going on there right now.

He's a fine screamer, but I think the screams are a part of what limits the band's songwriting and success.

4. Side note: anyone know who's doing the guest vocals on the bridge of Yung & Dum? Doesn't sound like ether of the vocalists in the band.

5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Agreed with this.

6. marceting

Trusted

Issues is having a live stream listening party. Their country inspired song sounds...good? The band said they thought reviewers were going to be harsh on the song but has gotten great feedback on it.

Link here: LIVE - ISSUES is broadcasting on YouNow

7. beachdude

Haha which one are they saying is country inspired? I don't really hear it in any lol.

8. Thought the same thing. My closest guess is Yung & Dum but even that one is a streeetch

beachdude42 likes this.
  9. marceting

Trusted

They were saying Yung & Dum is country inspired.

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

Jon Langston, according to iTunes.

beachdude42 likes this.
  11. beachdude

12. jellyfishfossil

Regular

Home Soon is probably the catchiest song they have made. The chorus is great.

beachdude42 and trevorshmevor like this.
  13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This song is a jam

beachdude42 likes this.
  14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I was willing to give this a chance just in case the first record had possibly caught me in a bad mood... but this is god awful. Honestly props to you guys who can enjoy this, however it's all but unlistenable to me.

15. Surprised there's not s single thing on this you enjoy. Doesnt seem entirely up your alley (nor mine) but there are a couple of gems hidden in the rest of the shit. Home Soon and Coma are both doing it for me right now

16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I forced myself to get through the entire thing for some reason, and my reaction was a combination of wanting to laugh, rolling my eyes, and being horrified.

17. I will agree that about 90% of this record makes me so that same thing. The choices they make in songwriting are often hilarious, and even more often really frustrating. Lots of super unnecessary shit, which is annoying because they're clearly decent musicians. Still stand by those two songs, but definitely cannot blame you for feeling the way you do.

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

When I got to Home Soon, I thought "THIS is the song people think is great?" just didn't sound at all different from the first song to me. I'm probably just not into whatever type of music this is, because I don't get the appeal in any way.

19. beachdude

I feel like this will always be a band that either clicks with people at least somewhat or absolutely turns them off, because of how specific and unusual their combination of styles is. Personally I used to view them as a "guilty pleasure" even though I dislike the term, because they still had a lot of cringe-y moments, but honestly on here I have an easier time overlooking those moments. I think the combination of styles feels a lot less forced now.

Jake W and marceting like this.
  20. jrock920

Regular

i expect you say that when you didn't respond to me in that what are you listening 2016 thread lol

21. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I just figured I'd listen to the album anyway so I didn't need to check out the song right then haha.

22. red8ge

Regular

wish they didn't have any screaming

trevorshmevor likes this.
  23. red8ge

Regular

like at this point it just feels like it's out of necessity to the genre than actually making the music better

FTank and trevorshmevor like this.
  24. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

This sums up my thoughts perfectly. I have 2 friends who generally like most of what I do musically speaking. One absolutely loves Issues, the other despises them.

I also hate using "guilty pleasure" but that's how my relationship with Issues started. I've decided for some reason or another I just enjoy them so I'm dropping the label.

beachdude42 likes this.
  25. SweetThye May 20, 2016
    (Last edited: May 20, 2016)
    SweetThye

@sweetthye

Same. This album honestly has very few cringy moments for me compared to their debut and the EPs. Really "Flojo" is the one I can think of and parts in "Rank Rider." It's a more refined effort. Lyrics are MUCH improved. I love the addition of Michael's clean vocals. And the songwriting from all the members has been increased dramatically. The band is just undeniably catchy with their take on pop/R&B/metalcore/hardcore.