Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

ISP Disclosures About Data Caps and Fees Eliminated by Net Neutrality Repeal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jon Brodkin, writing at Ars Technica:

Because advertised prices often don’t reflect the full cost of service, the Federal Communications Commission in 2015 forced ISPs to be more transparent with customers about hidden fees and the consequences of exceeding data caps. The new requirements were part of the net neutrality rules—and are therefore going to be eliminated when the FCC votes to repeal the rules next week.

While FCC Chairman Ajit Pai is proposing to keep some of the commission’s existing disclosure rules and to impose some new disclosure requirements, ISPs won’t have to tell consumers exactly what everything will cost when they sign up for service.

Sigh.

2. Turkeylegz Dec 8, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 8, 2017)
    Turkeylegz

Trusted

The internet is a utility. Blocking access is just another form of oppression. Imagine if this happened with something like water? I really think it will be a huge turning point in the way we live our lives.

Edit: The internet is so integrated into our way of life. In my own life, I have seen the wonderful ways it has enhanced education. Using programs like Google classroom to turn in assignments. Being able to access a wealth of information with little cost. Technology is deeply integrated into education. Much of it occurs at the student's home. What is going to happen when a student needs to research a project but they hit their data cap and can't afford to upgrade? It is going to hurt the economically disparaged the most. I'm done ranting, probably.

I hate that stupid Verizon lackey.

Raku, carlosonthedrums and ship90 like this.
  3. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

They’re going to take money away from these people (the tax reform bill), they’re trying to take healthcare away from these people (repeal and ... umm? bill) and now they want to make it a lot harder for these people to access the internet to use for, well, literally everything now.

Then they tell these people to pick themselves up by their bootstraps.

It’s a twisted game.

If people can’t see the obvious assault this administration and this Congress are performing on the most vulnerable people of this country, I don’t know what will ever make them see.

KyleK, elphshelf, Orville and 2 others like this.
  4. Raku

Regular

What this makes me wonder is if there is a way to still access the internet without ISPs?

If Net Neutrality does go under, I would like to still access the net without these terrible gate keepers... Although, even if one could access the net unrestricted, this will still effect websites causing issues for those "unaffected" by these changes.

That being said though, this doesn't just impact us Americans... This will change american based websites, and other countries might follow suit if we don't beat this =/

5. Nationalize the Internet.

jco3, elphshelf, ECV and 3 others like this.
  6. jco3

Regular

Whoever runs in 2020 should run on this. I think it would go over great with people. Also, it would be interesting (but really, more like infuriating) to see how CNN (owned by Time Warner) and MSNBC (owned by Comcast) would cover them.