Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson, 2018) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Anthony_ Apr 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 6, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I actually liked the idea of it being an American exchange student in concept, but I think if it had been a Japanese-American exchange student it would have been way better, personally. There really wasn't any reason for her to be white other than he wanted to cast Greta Gerwig. Would've been cool if he had cast a young unknown Japanese actor for Atari and then also a young unknown Japanese-American actress for Tracy.

aoftbsten likes this.
  2. I liked this a lot!

fenway89 likes this.
  3. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Finally got this in Buffalo last night. It’s great. I think I expected a little more on an emotional level compared to his last few , but still really liked it.

4. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I saw this a while back but didn't see this thread. Beautifully made, some great moments, but the story was average, the characters were poorly realized especially the female characters (why are there only like three female dogs in an island full of dogs? Oracle was great tho), and there are a ton of think pieces about the cultural offness already that put it in to better words than I can.

5. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Yea; Chief felt like the only character that was given his due. I think we should have actually been given a reason to care more about Atari.

6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was flawed. Gorgeous, unmatched animation and design, but a clumsy social allegory that Wes Anderson was ill-equipped to tackle.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

And they had to make a joke about female dogs being called bitches

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

The female dogs had no agency. Just love interests with little to do. And Oracle who was just a recurring joke was the best representation.

Then the only speaking female human besides a narrator was a lame white savior for no reason, and was in love with the main character despite never meeting? Real lazy.

9. mad

I was right. Prestigious

this was so damn good!
    my two complaints:
    1. too many unnecessary heterosexual romance subplots
    2. lack of lady dogs
    but other than that I loved it and can’t wait to watch it with my 4 year old cousin

coleslawed and incognitojones like this.
  10. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I definitely felt that was weird too
    it seemed at first like she wasn’t the leader of that group but then she definitely was taking a leadership position during the protests
    I thought having an American exchange student was a neat idea of throwing English into the student group (like the translator with the political stories) but having her lead the Japanese students was...questionable

aoftbsten likes this.
  11. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

rex best new doggo

12. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

duke best doggo

GrantCloud and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  13. mad

I was right. Prestigious

impossible to pick best doggo

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

15. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Loved this.

16. CobraKidJon

oh yeah my thoughts to this is basically visuals are amazing while story felt a little lackluster.

17. Morrissey

Trusted

This was fine. It is mid-tier Anderson; while he might never again reach the heights of his first three films, Anderson's attention to detail and ability to pull raw emotion is something that other directors have failed to do when copying him. Once you get through laughing at the outrageous characters that Anderson puts his fairly famous cast into, they do reach some good dramatic moments, especially Walter White being able to learn to love humans again.

There was no reason that this could not be set in an American city, and while Anderson considers it a touching and caring homage it is important to look at how it was received. The audience laughed at the Japanese language and the emotion in a way that said that they thought that Asians are weird, which is heightened by the lack of subtitles and the animation. Pretty much every Wes Anderson film is a little racist, but weirdly this is the biggest offense as people are getting more sensitive to racial depictions in film. He will have to address this in his future work, even if many give him a pass here.

18. Enjoyed this. Beautifully animated and well-acted. The criticisms that have been discussed here and elsewhere were in the back of my mind during my watch. I can't remember specifics, but there were some slight lulls. The animation was so good that I could just stare at the artistry during those parts.

Also, Oracle was my favorite doggo.

19. CobraKidJon

20. Davjs

Trusted

Just finished this and really liked it! I think Fantastic Fox is a little better, but still great.

I really hope he does more of these stop motion films, I think his dialog and humor fits this style really well, more than live action.

21. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I really liked it. I appreciated the Twin Peaks reference.

22. Dog with a Blog

What part? I have missed it

23. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  24. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Saw this the other day finally and thought it was just average wes unfortunately... darjeeling level. Maybe not that eh.. but for me it's nowhere near Budapest or fox

25. Kuri44

Just saw this, I enjoyed it. About to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox for the first time

coleslawed likes this.