Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson, 2018) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Anthony_ Mar 23, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 23, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I'm aware they're the perspectives of Asian critics, but Asian critics can be guilty of minimalization/erasure just as much as any other critics. That tweet is a pretty convenient hand-waving dismissal of a PoC's integral contributions to the film, at least to me.

To be clear, I'm by no means saying they aren't worth listening to, and I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't even know how correct they are, I'm just commenting that it's strange to see people complaining about insensitivity to the Japanese while erasing/minimizing a key Japanese collaborator's input almost entirely. Comes across as hypocritical, at least to me.

DeathOrGlory and Joe like this.
  2. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I wish it were showing in my middle of nowhere town.

3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

My AMC usually shows a fair amount of indies, especially this past season with all the Oscar contenders. They've even had an Isle of Dogs poster hanging up since November but nope, not playing it this weekend.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I still can't get over Scarlett Johansson and Tilda Swinton being two of the voices in this, lol.

As far as Anderson having a Japanese person's input in the film... Avril Lavigne's "Hello Kitty" music video had a Japanese director, producers, etc. And the Johansson Ghost in the Shell film was well received in Japan. I'm not qualified to comment on the nuances of Japan's relationship to American depictions of Japanese culture, but suffice to say Nomura's involvement doesn't by any means absolve this film of any criticisms being leveled towards it.

5. Anthony_

image.jpg

Four years of waiting and it’s finally here.

6. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

That was adorable. Really really beautifully done.

jkauf, fenway89 and Anthony_ like this.
  7. Anthony_ Mar 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 24, 2018)
    Anthony_

Incredible. Loved it. In awe of the artistry on display. Can’t wait to see it again.

jkauf, fenway89 and Grapevine_Twine like this.
  8. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Looks like 4/6 for wide.

9. Anthony_

I actually saw 4/13 somewhere. I hope wherever you saw is the source that's correct.

coleslawed likes this.
  10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Debating on whether to go to a pre-screening tonight and battle the crowd, or just wait until tomorrow or Wednesday and not have to worry about waiting in line for hours.

11. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

I also went to see it at GSP. Such an enjoyable film. Anderson's humor/quirkiness is def in full effect in this one and the cast of voices was incredible. Also, I can't imagine how much time and effort goes into making a feature length film with stop-motion animation. Quite a task.

suicidesaints and Anthony_ like this.
  12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Loved this

Yeah, it's worth it

13. StevenW92

Regular

This is superb. Smart and hilarious throughout. Not sure why people have a problem with Tilda Swinton, but her character was the best in the movie.

14. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Really want to go see this tonight, but I think I'm gonna watch Oh Lucy instead since today's the last time it's playing before it leaves theaters. Maybe I can catch Isle tomorrow.

15. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Hey, I just saw this movie and it was really really really good.

16. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Incredibly dumb that the main Japanese character was named "Atari" which isn't even a name in Japanese it's just Wes' cute reference to the game system like wtf

I thought this was enjoyable tbf, but there are plenty of things that rub me the wrong way to hold me back from loving it

Wes Anderson has always been a profoundly insular white filmmaker and I didn't really expect him to branch out beyond the worldview and perspective he's familiar with so I wasn't necessarily disappointed in that aspect

What it comes down to, and what I kept thinking the entire time is that if you were an individual who spoke both Japanese and English, this film would not work at all for you, and that's super shitty to me

I want to be clear I'm not trying to just do some Wes Anderson pile on here, I realized he's beloved (he's made some of my favorite films), but I think it's important to actually engage with these critiques

incognitojones and CarpetElf like this.
  17. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Anthony_ likes this.
  18. Anthony_

That's a really good piece right here, although I personally disagree with his implication that Isle of Dogs doesn't meet his suggested two-part solution to the problem. Wes clearly did the work, bringing on Nomura as a co-writer and creative consultant throughout the entire process to ensure it was respectful and not explotative, and he also didn't "[fill his] plate with exotic flavors and [set] it in front of a Caucasian protagonist to be tickled and amused by." Even if the dogs are considered "Caucasian protagonists" in the way he means the phrase, that was not their reaction to the Japanese culture on display nor was it the intent of the film either.

I would liken this much more to Moana and Coco than I would to Kubo, personally. And even then, I don't think Moana had a single person of Pacific Island descent on either the writing or directing teams. So yeah they did their research but they didn't have any input from someone whose culture they were working in when it came to those important creative decisions. Based on all the evidence I've seen, in contrast, Isle of Dogs doesn't get made without Nomura's assistance.

But yeah, I agree with his analysis of the overall issue 100%.

19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Anthony_ likes this.
  20. Anthony_

Aregala likes this.
  21. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

All of the articles I’ve been reading leave me feeling super conflicted for liking this film as much as I did/do.

I’m pretty dang annoyed by the fact that the Japanese dialogue doesn’t hold much depth and by the lack of attention to detail on the written language. Mmmm

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Jeff Goldblum as a dog was delightful especially when he said "I love gossip", and in general this had a great cast
    The dogs were cute and good doggos despite what anyone may say
    I still don't think there was any reason to set this in Japan and have the whole white savior arc with Tracy, like is Japanese people hate dogs a stereotype I haven't heard of
    also the whole political allegory never quite gelled, I guess dogs were immigrants or POC or something

Grapevine_Twine likes this.
  23. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Nah, that's just a weird Wes Anderson thing.

24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was alright. Definitely enjoyed it. The animation really drew me in and made me feel like this world was real. But overall, it just didn't grab me like some of his other films have though.

25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The whole white person being the leader of this group of young Japanese students thing did rub me the wrong way, I'd say that was the part that kept taking me out of the film. It was just like... why? Why not just have it be a Japanese girl?