Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson, 2018) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah that seems to be the way I expected the film to turn out. Unless the objection is purely "Wes Anderson should not set a film in a fictionalized dystopian Japan," in which case yeah you're probably not going to like the movie.

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Haha yeah I don't think you have to spoil cover that

Ken and Anthony_ like this.
  3. Anthony_

Kunichi Nomura was pretty involved in the casting process and also the writing process to help ensure the film was respectful to the Japanese people and culture.

Skip to 40:25 for the relevant bit.

Joel and fenway89 like this.
  4. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Isle of Dogs.....

I LOVE DOGS

5. Dog with a Blog

Same

GrantCloud and coleslawed like this.
  6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

If only there was a dog with a blog who could watch Isle of Dogs

7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

My school is having an advanced screening this Thursday and I got tickets.

8. Anthony_

9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

10. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

This doesn’t appear to be playing in Buffalo this weekend and I am fuming.

11. Anthony_

It's apparently opening super limited this weekend- I think I saw somewhere that it's only about 30 theaters or something but I don't know if that's true. Either way, none of the trailers or marketing said it was going to be opening limited first, which is disappointing. I'm going to have to drive almost an hour to see it this weekend.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  12. Anthony_

13. Can't wait.

coleslawed likes this.
  14. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I’m thinking of going to Toronto for it. 2 hour drive -ish.

15. Anthony_

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah looks like it's opening wider next week

17. Morrissey

Trusted

A movie with that many movie stars, and with Anderson having a lot of success in reaching a crossover audience, always means a wider release. Two weeks tops for a "national" release.

18. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

According to BO Mojo only 27 theaters this weekend, was looking forward to seeing it but looks like I’ll have to wait

Kingjohn_654 and fenway89 like this.
  19. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

we’ve got one theater starting with it on wednesday, hopefully more come shortly.

GrantCloud likes this.
  20. Anthony_

Yeah I’m really lucky that I have a theater close enough that it’s doable showing it this weekend. And that I don’t have to worry about the hassle of going into New York instead. Feel bad for everyone that has to wait, they really should’ve been more clear in the marketing that it was opening limited only on March 23 before expanding after.

21. Looking forward to this, but something to consider.

22. Anthony_

I’m kind of not loving all these takes completely erasing Kunichi Nomura’s heavy involvement in the writing and casting process of this movie. It’s pretty strange, I don’t know. Like, “let’s minimize this incredibly talented Japanese artist’s involvement in the film.” Seems dishonest to me.

fenway89 and Slangster like this.
  23. Anthony_

Right but that piece wasn't cited in any of those tweets. I read through the linked articles in the tweets and neither of them mention his name in the context of his creative contributions/consulting work regarding the script and casting. Don't think it's a great look to be erasing a Japanese artist's considerable contributions to an already award-winning major film from a respected director.

From that piece:

24. Sorry, I just posted that piece because Nomura was brought up, not to prop up the other tweets. He's acknowledged in Chang's piece, but not given as much credit or discussed as much as he should have.

These are just the perspectives of Asian critics, and I think they're worth listening to. I think Nomura himself said in an interview that it was challenging to be the only Japanese person on the creative team.

Aregala and gonz (Alex) like this.