Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Dec 21, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

because it will probably be at least low key racist like Darjeeling Limited was, Scarlett Johansson and Tilda Swinton being in it when there are very few Asian actors in it seems like it's almost intentional

2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Wow, that looked even better than I could have imagined

3. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Really looking forward to this. Less looking forward to the inevitable wave of thinkpieces about the setting.

4. Morrissey

Trusted

Based on that trailer, the Japanese setting looks like the worst kind of American portrayal of Japan. How can he be that tone deaf?

5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

From what I can tell, the Japanese characters are voiced by the Japanese cast. And no doubt he is drawing from Kurosawa for this.

fenway89, Anthony_ and coleslawed like this.
  6. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

really enjoyed the trailer

7. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Every time I see this trailer it looks borderline racist with the portrayal of the Japanese characters. But again that's just from the trailer so I'm gonna wait til more comes out for me to actually hold judgement on it.

Never seen a Wes Anderson film though, kinda feel like I should change that but I have no real motivation for it.

8. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

You should definitely change that.

9. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Very excited for this.

Anthony_ likes this.
  10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

You should definitely change that. At least watch Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. Although I enjoy all of his work.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Can’t wait
    Can’t wait
    Can’t wait
    Can’t wait
    Can’t wait

13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

close enough now that I'm not watching anything else, but given how much I love Fantastic Mr. Fox I expect to adore this

14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Will be amazing

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Rewatched TGBH the other day, and man does that film hold up. Honestly I might enjoy Moonrise Kingdom, and TGBH more than some of his early work. So excited for this.

Also On the special features of TGBH they show you how to make those Mendl’s pastries, and I need to make them one day.

coleslawed and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah Ralph Fiennes's performance is probably my favorite in Anderson's filmography.

coleslawed and fenway89 like this.
  17. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Rushmore is still my favorite of Anderson's work, but I like them all.

fenway89 likes this.
  18. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Grand Budapest numero uno for me.... But don't hate any of them

coleslawed and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  19. Premiere yesterday in Berlin, so reviews are popping up.

jkauf and suicidesaints like this.
  20. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

suicidesaints likes this.
  21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Racist?

22. That's the only mention I've heard of it so far, but here's what they said.

23. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I'm guessing it's mostly towards the Japanese? This was something I feared when the posters started popping up.

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

For fans of stop motion, Early Man is out this weekend.

25. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

FWIW, the David Ehrlich review kinda says the opposite (put in spoilers for people who don't read reviews even though there's no real plot details here):

"It also helps that Anderson doesn’t make any glib jokes at the expense of the Japanese characters, or dare reduce them to others on their own turf; this is a movie that was born from a deep-seated love for Japanese cinema (everyone from Seijun Suzuki to Mecha-Godzilla gets a shoutout, and Kurosawa is so well-represented that the “Seven Samurai” theme plays twice). Anderson has clearly learned from the mistakes of previous movies that have mined similar terrain."