Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Is Apple Music Really Deleting Your Music? Doubtful.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Serenity Caldwell, writing for iMore, looks at what may have happened in regard to the blog post going around saying that Apple Music deleted a bunch of files off someone’s hard drive.

Whatever the case, Apple Music was never designed to delete Pinkstone’s source library, and it won’t delete yours. That’s simply not how the service works on your primary Mac. But if you’re not aware of how iCloud Music Library stores copies of tracks, you may delete your local copies to save space, thinking you can get them back — and get screwed as a result.

My guess is that there was a misunderstanding in how the system works, because the system is pretty stupidly confusing at times, and there is always the chance it was a bug. But there’s absolutely no way that deleting your music, without you expressly saying to do it, is “working as intended” as apparently the original author was told by tech support.

What I consider to be the killer feature of Apple Music, the combination of my local library with their streaming library, is also the feature that adds the most complexity to the service. While it does work, and I do use it, it’s far from perfect and definitely confusing. That’s on Apple to fix if they want you to trust your music library to their product. If they don’t have that trust then people will continue to use two apps: one for music they own and then Spotify for everything else.

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Thanks for investigating this!

3. CMilliken

Trusted

I've seen this being spread around a lot lately. I don't seem to have had any issues while using Apple Music.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Jacob Davidson

Regular

I've not had any problems with Apple Music. I've been happy ever since I switched from Spotify. Only downfall is Spotify has the PlayStation app.

5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I haven't had this issue occur. Obviously it's majority problematic if it's happened to anyone, but it does seem kinda doubtful. More likely that the user deleted stuff accidentally because of the confusing messages.

6. Liz

Ew, David

This isn't Apple Music but it's the same problem with an Apple service: about 3 years ago when I was still using Itunes, I logged in to my account one day to find that large chunks of my music library had disappeared and I couldn't find them anywhere in my account or on my computer. I haven't used Itunes since. I looked online and found a forum where other people had this same problem but no one could find a solution. It's suspicious

7. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

i had problems with the app fucking up my playlists when i tried out apple music, but no files actually getting deleted. it was similarly annoying, but with less lasting effects.

8. foomanfat

Regular

I'll have to check this out. I used Apple music for a couple months until it replaced several albums I had bought through iTunes with DRM protected m4p versions.