Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Iron & Wine - Beast Epic (August 25th, 2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

You should

teebs41 likes this.
  2. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

What a fantastic return to form. His best, and first truly great, record since Shepherd's Dog.

3. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I really enjoy this album already, but my only criticism is the way he recorded his vocals. Idk the technical term, but the album almost sounds like it was recorded live or something because of the effect on his voice throughout. Not really a fan of that.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This probably is my favorite since The Shepherd's Dog. I think it lacks what all his albums up through Kiss had, which is at least one unbelievably incredible song. I don't think any of his best songs are on here, but the entire thing (save "Last Night," which I don't like at all) has a really nice vibe and flow.

5. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Yeah, "About A Bruise" and "Last Night" are the low points on here for me.

6. Letterbomb31 Aug 26, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2017)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Which songs are you referring to? Personally, I'd go with the following:

The Creek Drank the Candle: "Upward Over the Mountain"
    Our Endless Numbered Days: "Fever Dream" (I could've just as easily gone with "Passing Afternoon" or "Each Coming Night")
    The Shepherd's Dog: "Flightless Bird, American Mouth"
    Kiss Each Other Clean: "Walking Far From Home"
    Ghost on Ghost: "Baby Center Stage"

Craig Manning likes this.
  7. I like this, but I think Kiss Each Other Clean is my favorite :-O

coleslawed and Aaron Mook like this.
  8. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Kiss Each Other Clean is very easily my least favourite. I love "Walking Far From Home" and "Godless Brother In Love", but everything else is bad.

9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

More or less these exact picks, plus "Godless Brother," "Love and Some Verses," and "Resurrection Fern."

vidiviciveni and Letterbomb31 like this.
  10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

over the past week I have learned that I'm the only person who seems to thing Shepherd's Dog sucks

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. T.J.

music and baseball.

I don't how anyone could think anyone of his works is just bad.

12. irthesteve

I guess sucks is the wrong word. Compared to his other albums, I find it terribly boring and it doesn't do anything for me

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. I absolutely love the first half of The Shepard's Dog, "Carousel" is an all-timer for me, but the second half loses me. Much more in the camp of loving the first two albums, although I love Kiss Each Other Clean and think it's really underrated. Never returned to Ghost on Ghost. Still need to listen to this.

Also "Sodom, South Georgia" is THAT Iron & Wine song for me for personal reasons

vidiviciveni and teebs41 like this.
  14. irthesteve

Kiss Each Other Clean is my favorite, so that's probably just another way I am different about this band

Anthony Brooks, kyle and Aaron Mook like this.
  15. It's definitely a very ambitious and interesting album. I remember my brother ripping the audio of him playing the album live on NPR before it was out and listening to that over and over one night.

16. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

there are some really good tracks on that album but overall its just an OK album for me

I'm loving this new one after one listen though

17. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Excited about the show tonight. Will be my first time seeing him live and I can't wait to see what it's like.

Gjpeace likes this.
  18. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I'll see you there! Should be awesome. It's always a cool experience to hear the new arrangements of the old stuff.

19. vidiviciveni

Trusted

How do you find a song like the title track on The Shepherd's Dog boring? I don't get that one. As was already said, "Carousel" is one of his better songs ever as well.

20. Larry David

It's my favorite as well

irthesteve and Aaron Mook like this.
  21. Larry David

Me too!

irthesteve likes this.
  22. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Fell asleep to this last night. From what I remember I enjoyed the first few tracks.

23. zmtr

Trusted

Been listening to this a few times a day.

24. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Really liked this. I suppose now is a good time to revisit his other works.

25. Yeah I finally got around to this and it's really, really great. I might even prefer it to The Shepard's Dog and Kiss Each Other Clean given enough time