Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Iron & Wine - Beast Epic (August 25th, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 9, 2017.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Really enjoying this, definitely more than Ghost and Shepherd

2. Paul Beaumont

Didn't realise this was coming. Looking forward to checking it out.

3. Awesome didn't know this was coming out! Hope this sounds more like Kiss Each Other Clean than Ghost on Ghost

4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

This snuck up quick! Can't wait for Friday

5. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

It doesn't really sound like either to me.

It's a fuller (if that's the right word) Our Endless Numbered Days, just not as good.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  6. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Man -- the last track is pretty great.

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I like this, but I feel like there's something intangible that he lost for me after The Shepherd's Dog, or maybe Kiss Each Other Clean. Maybe it's the way he sings now? Like, it's still really lovely, and it has this nice added confidence, but I love the gentle, lullabyish nature of those earlier records and EPs. I feel like the way he used to sing was a better match with his lyrical style.

Still, this is good and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it. Closest parallel in his discography is the duet album from last year with Jesca Hoop, only it's solo.

8. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

For me, it feels like what would have been a natural progression from either Creek or Endless Days.

9. zmtr

Trusted

Excited to listen to this tomorrow. It's getting pretty good reviews. I've been listening to almost nothing but OEND and TSD. Fall is here faaaaaaaaaam

DaydreamNation likes this.
  10. Oh wow, this is out tonight. I never returned to Ghost on Ghost but I generally love if not greatly enjoy the rest of his discography, so I'm excited to spin this.

truelovewaits likes this.
  11. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Goddammit how did I not know about this

12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

excited to check this out

13. zmtr

Trusted

This is better than I expected. "Claim Your Ghost" and "Song In Stone" are fucking great

14. zmtr

Trusted

Wow.. Summer Clouds.. Alright guys this rules.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

It's very good! The back half doesn't feel as consistent to me, but it's all beautiful. Super excited to see him on Monday. I think these songs will translate super well live, and I've always wanted to see a more stripped-down set from him. (I saw him twice on the Kiss Each Other Clean tour, and it was about as opposite as "stripped down" as you can get.)

zmtr likes this.
  16. zmtr

Trusted

He's 100% better when he's playing by himself. It's a fact.

17. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I'm looking forward to this, I have a soft spot for Iron & Wine

Why do people hate Ghost on Ghost? "Caught In the Briars" in particular is classic Iron & Wine

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  18. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Yeah, I remember his encore was a solo "Sodom, South Georgia," and it was breathtaking. It made me wish that he had at least sprinkled in moments like that throughout the (admittedly excellent) full-band set.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. T.J.

music and baseball.

Really enjoying this. I am happy he went back to the light sound for this one.

20. This is incredible

zmtr likes this.
  21. zmtr

Trusted

Yeah with all the new releases today I still managed to listen to this 3 times.

22. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

welcome back to constant rotation, Sam! This is so amazing

teebs41 likes this.
  23. zmtr

Trusted

:crylaugh:

mad likes this.
  24. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I'm only 3 tracks in but this is already the most I've enjoyed an album of his since The Shepherd's Dog.

truelovewaits and teebs41 like this.
  25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

These comments are making me think I have to listen to this record this weekend