Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Iron Fist (Netflix) TV Show • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by xapplexpiex, Apr 1, 2016.

1. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

My friend who is also a huge Marvel fan trashed it so badly.

I haven't been able to watch because Zelda but I'll probably still give it a go. Been hearing praise from the supporting cast.

At the very least, I won't be totally lost on some plot lines when Defenders is released.

2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

What episode did you make it to?

3. Kuri44

It's definitely the weakest of the Netflix series, sometimes it looks like it might be getting good and then just kinda falls flat again. Halfway through episode 6 and I'm already over it.

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Finished through episode 10. This is getting pretty good. The fight scenes improved considerably from the first episode. Episode 6 had some good ones and then there was one in episode 8 that was actually really cool. I just wish Finn Jones had adjusted to that English accent better, he's the one weak link in a very capable cast. That first episode does the show zero favors though, it's probably the single worst episode in all 5 of the Netflix seasons thus far. But it's worth getting through it for what comes after. This plot also handles the Hand way, way better than Daredevil did when they were shoehorned in to the last few episodes of season 2. Really interested to see where this ends and how it leads into The Defenders.

5. Four and barely... fucking awful, the acting and action scenes are embarrassing.

6. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

One episode 3 and I'm really not liking it... The main problem for me is the cast(particularly Iron Fist and the woman from 90210).

7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I thought the latter half improved quite a bit. Let me know if you make it through, though! I'll have my review ready for ya tomorrow.

8. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Didn't expect to end up finishing this in two days when I thought the trailer was awful and heard the reviews. But I liked this more than S2 of Daredevil. I really like Colleen Wing and liked Ward by the end. And like @Anthony_D'Elia said the plot with the Hand was much better than in DD.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  9. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

The second half is definitely much stronger than the first. Ward and Danny really started coming into their own, and I'll be very interested in Danny's dynamic with the rest of the Defenders.

Kuri44 likes this.
  10. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Finished episode 6 and it's a lot better now. It's still a little on the nose for some parts but definitely more enjoyable. Ward is even more interesting now

11. Anthony_

Just finished the season. The first episode, and even the second one as well, are nowhere near representative of what comes after. This became a much, much better show after the rocky beginning. The action and fight scenes improve considerably, the supporting cast remains strong throughout (especially Jessica Henwick and, of course, Rosario Dawson), and the plot is engaging and actually does The Hand the justice they were owed and that Daredevil failed to deliver in season 2. Even Finn Jones, who remains the weak link of the show, improves as the series goes on (not by much, but still). This wound up being very enjoyable and stuck the landing in a way that the Marvel Netflix shows haven't since Jessica Jones's excellent season.

Looking forward to The Defenders, although I'm really surprised at how complete this season felt. It didn't really overtly tease anything about what's to come later this year, at all. I couldn't believe they resisted the urge to make this season into one huge commercial for The Defenders (which is what those last couple episode of Daredevil season 2 felt like, and that was a year ago). So they deserve praise for that as well.

As for how I'd rank it, it's definitely at the bottom but I don't necessarily know where exactly. In a lot of ways, I enjoyed it more than the back half of Luke Cage (specifically, after Mahershala Ali exited the series), but on the whole it doesn't have the same sense of liveliness that Luke Cage had (plus, I mean, Mike Colter is an enormously better lead actor, and made up for a lot of the show's shortcomings). I guess it'd be Jessica Jones > Daredevil 1 > Daredevil 2 > Luke Cage > Iron Fist for me.

tl;dr I don't think I've ever disagreed with the critics more on anything. This was good. Not amazing, not mind-blowingly awesome, but nowhere near as bad as it's been made out to be.

12. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I'm on episode 7 now and still like it a lot.

I get the criticisms. The fight scenes aren't bad. I think I understand what they are going for -- Danny isn't fighting so much as he's in defensive mode a lot of the times. His acting is shaky too, but (again, I'm guessing) he's essentially playing an adult child.

This for sure isn't my least favorite. I'm not a fan of Jessica Jones so that series was a struggle for me. This will end up with DD S1 and LC as my favorites.

carrytheweight likes this.
  13. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I'm on episode 5 and I like this better than Jessica Jones. Current ranking goes Daredevil S1, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, DD S2, Jessica Jones.

14. Kuri44 Mar 19, 2017
    (Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2017)
    Kuri44

DD 1 > DD 2 > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage > Iron Fist

I think I would've like LC just a bit more than JJ if they hadn't killed off Mahershala Ali's character

15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Watched a couple fight scenes to see if they were as bad as everyone says, couldn't believe how boring they were

16. Anthony_

Gets better. After episode 4 the fights are all good to great. There was a really unique one in episode 8, specifically, that I liked a lot.

17. chris

Trusted Supporter

yeah the fight scenes in ep. 6 are actually pretty good. Everything before that is pretty bad. Especially that hallway fight that ends up in the elevator, it was just felt so slow and unnatural.

idk Finn Jones has just been so awkward in a lot of these scenes. I liked him a lot in GoT, but he's def the weakest link here. Jessica Henwick on the other hand has been great

Awksome and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  18. Anthony_

Jones was great on GoT. I truly think he just didn't adjust well to the American accent. He can't make it sound natural. We know he's not a bad actor, he just can't do that well.

19. chris

Trusted Supporter

also I just think the beard looks ridiculous. get it outta here

20. PauLo

43% Burnt

I heard a lot about the choreography in the first part of the series. I understand why people might say it's bad, but this is about one of the greatest martial artists in the Marvel universe. The first scene with the security guards for example. They are untrained muscle and have no training and the ease he sees them off is supposed to look as effortless as it does. He doesn't need to exert himself. Hell, in episode three, he even mentions the use of internal force instead of external (or something to that effect), so it's not gonna looks as intense as say Daredevil. Now, I can't speak for the rest of the season as i'm only 3 episodes in, but i'm sure they get better as his opponents become more skilled.

Davjs likes this.
  21. Anthony_

The problem is that it feels like there's no weight or impact to any of the early fight scenes. People have remarked that the fist fight in particular looks like they shot footage of the rehearsal and then just left it in the final cut. He just taps them and they fall down. The fights later on in the series feel like fights, not rehearsals.

22. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Colleen wing is my favorite part about this.

23. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Yea, I really, really, really disliked all of this other than Claire and Colleen. X number of hours delving into legit kung fu forms absolutely does not excuse this from being somehow less enjoyable for me than the first season of Arrow. Finn was all the worst worries brought up upon news of his casting. Wenham was completely wasted in his role. Just....bad writing I think. How they managed to make his internal identity conflict so boring and cringeworthy simultaneously is probably the most impressive part of this. Also if K'un-Lun was their idea of collateral damage and consequence for Danny's actions, jokes on them cuz I don't give a shit about mountain club when they've spent basically the entire MCU getting me invested in NYC. This was incredibly disappointing and I was already prepared for it to be bad.

24. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

25. BackyardHero11

Trusted

so I never finished Luke Cage, I wasn't totally into the show, but I liked the barbershop as well as the music and style of the show, but the fight scenes were laughable and the writing wasn't great. then I got to the origin episode with all the flashbacks and it was one of the sloppiest pieces of television I've seen. gave up there. after hearing such mixed things about iron fist, I wasn't running to watch it which is a shame because I loved daredevil and JJ (not without it's issues).

but, I do of course want to make my own judgment. watched first two episodes last night.

I'm intrigued by the story and feel the want to put on another episode. i don't think danny is very likeable, but I have 11 episodes to go, so we'll see what happens. some of the writing and acting is atrocious. that childhood flashback on the roof was painful. the fighting choreography is very uneven in quality, sadly leaning more towards not great.