Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Introducing: Dark Mode (March 26, 2017)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jason Tate, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Jason Tate Mar 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 11, 2017)
    Sometimes you just need to give in to the dark side.

Today I'm rolling out a new feature for supporters that will enable a brand new "dark mode" theme for the forums. This is a rethinking of the entire color scheme and is customized at all levels to bring a darker palette to your browsing experience. Maybe it's late at night and you don't want the bright lights messing up your thread viewing, maybe it helps your eyes, or maybe you're just drawn to the darkness, either way we've got you covered. The dark theme is available for supporters to select via their preferences and will look great on desktop, phones, and tablets.

Of course, it's not something anyone has to use, but I think it's pretty damn awesome to flip over late at night when I'm reading through threads or am on the iPhone right before I finally fall asleep. Mostly, I think it's a pretty cool extra perk and after seeing some of my favorite apps do something similar over the past few years I felt like it was the perfect idea to borrow.

Thank you, once again, to all of the supporters on this site — you're the reason it exists and your amazing support already (before we've even officially launched) is exactly what let me dedicate some time to building out dark mode. I've been loving all the conversations and ideas we've been having around here over the past couple of weeks and I'm extremely excited about the future. Thank you, everyone!

Update: Dark Mode is coming to the main website! Here's some screen shots of this in action. And here's some new screen shots of the forum theme.

Update #2: Here's the main website announcement about Dark Mode for the main website.

Here's some screenshots of the new theme:

Attached Files:

2. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

That looks amazing

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

that's pretty

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Welp, guess I'm becoming a supporter.

edit: maybe not, didn't realize it was a monthly subscription. not sure I can swing it right now. but still, that looks gorgeous.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. I'm still working on thinking up the best way to handle this sort of stuff and seeing how it all works out. There's a chance in the future I will make things more "ala carte" or something, but, at the moment, I'm going with this yearly membership program thing because I really like how it's been working at few other websites I follow. I'm still playing with ideas and learning and trying to make this work, so hopefully the perfect happy medium can be found!

Thanks for checking it out at least and the compliment!

scott likes this.
  6. That'd be cool, and that's not to say it's not worth it as it is (considering I see plenty of supporters around, which is awesome), but I'm reluctant to take on additional monthly payments unless absolutely necessary, since money's tight and all that. If I could pay a one-time fee of $10 for dark mode or something like that, I'd be all about it.

7. Totally, 1000%, understand! Maybe one day you'll be able to and could swing for the yearly package, but if not that's totally understandable. It's also why I don't want to ever incapacitate or worsen the experience or the website for anyone that's not a supporter or anything like that at all (and why we run ads, hah). I see the supporter options as more of additions, perks, and little things like that. I hope that maybe one day we'll have enough supporters that will let that be the only way we need to run the site, but it's all a work in progress. I'm always gonna be experimenting to find the right fit and all that. Definitely the hardest part of this being my job again — trying to find the right way to make it all work and align everyone's goals and happiness! :-)

scott likes this.
  8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Excited to try this out.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Can't wait for the 10th Anniversary of this site where you unveil the throwback AP.net dark red.

Jdaniels likes this.
  10. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

#DEATHTOAP.NETDARKRED

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Haha, not a bad idea actually. May make a note about that.

12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

There's also a good idea for an April fools prank somewhere in there.

truelovewaits and Jason Tate like this.
  13. :vader:

14. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Yes dark mode is amazing!

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. Always looking out for your eyes! :eyes:

16. :pondathumb:

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Using dark mode and never going back. So much easier on the eyeballs.

Jason Tate and Wharf Rat like this.
  18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I haven't not used dark mode since I got it. much better.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  19. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

Oooh, think I might just stick with this. This is nice.

Edit: I can already tell I'm not going to switch back. First night shift, and now this. My eyes are grateful.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. Tyler

Regular Supporter

I'm not saying I paid $5 just for this but damn it looks good.

21. Awww! Thank you!

And thank you for being a member, I really appreciate that!

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

gonna give this a little bump to mention if you are a supporter you really should get on this and try dark mode. if you're not, you should probably sign up for a month and try dark mode. it's really really really good and makes using this site even easier than it is under light mode.

23. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Yes, join the dark side...

[​IMG]

Derek Wright and Jason Tate like this.
  24. chris-wrecker

Trusted

Wish this was the default! I'll try and scrounge up some $$ and upgrade

Jason Tate likes this.