Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Into It. Over It. - Standards Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by h8bit, Mar 6, 2016.

1. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Have you listened to Proper? The drumming on this is good but Proper is a whole different level imo.

2. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

This was my first IIOI album. And nothing I heard on this made me really want to go back and listen to more. Maybe I'll check it out at some point though.

3. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Proper is the best imo

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Try the first T/T/T EP, good drumz on thereeeeeeee

5. thethingis

Personally I like the songs a bit more on Proper (just my tastes), but the drums are super interesting and make good songs great for me.

6. Meerkat

Oof I was not a fan of the T/T/T stuff at all.

At some point I'll definitely check it out!

7. irthesteve

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

oh well, i'll get over it

i'm over it

8. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Need a hug steve?

iplaydrums likes this.
  9. Meerkat

I know, I'm the worst, blah blah blah. I really wanted to like it but it just...yeah. Didn't work for me.

10. irthesteve

worse things have happened

11. Went to Evan's acoustic in-store tonight. Really fun, relaxed set. He played four or five from the new album, plus "Upstate Blues," "No Good Before Noon," "Spinning Thread," and "The Shaking of Leaves." I'm bummed my preorder hasn't showed up yet, since he seemed just as excited about the artwork and packaging as he was about the new songs.

12. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

Second half of the record really won me over. I wasn't in love with the first half. I haven't like anything as much as Twelve Towns though.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. I definitely will.

14. Same, unfortunately. Proper is as close as I've coming to enjoying something of Evan's as much as Twelve Towns. Still have hella respect for him though

highfidelity203 likes this.
  15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I think, I don't like the way he sings. Like I like his voice, but not the way he applies it. He has a very distinct style of singing I guess and it doesn't work with me.

16. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I am really digging this record. I already said this in the review thread on AP, but I really think every song on this album has its own identity. Each song is very distinguishable to the next. I love that. I think this is my favorite IIOI release since Proper.
    I wasn't a fan of Intersections, but I see myself listening to this album a lot this year.

17. highfidelity203

I enjoyed Proper but I thought it was tad safe - I find that I like him experimenting a bit more like on the back half of Standards and on a few songs on Intersections. I absolutely respect him as well. Never got to 52 Weeks how does that stand up?

18. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

I think 52 Weeks holds up well. Granted, if you're not a fan of the majority of IIOI or emo-tinged acoustic stuff then it probably won't be for you. But I still listen to it every so often.

19. highfidelity203

I tend to like the emo-tinged acoustic stuff - I think I like Evan a bit more stripped down as opposed to with a full band. Sometimes I think he gets a bit lost in the full band make up.

20. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

I can agree with this. I definitely like his full band stuff but there's a charm about his solo acoustic stuff that fits him well.

21. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Finally listened to this today for the first time. 10 times better than Intersections.

KennedyBN likes this.
  22. thethingis

After sitting with it for a week, the record is fine but I'll probably keep choosing Proper whenever I feel like listening to this band.

23. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Old Lace clicked with me on the way to work today. It's now playing on repeat.

A lot of these songs have more impact once I was able to go through the lyric sheets this weekend, but I do think that there are a few events where Evan had lyrical missteps.

24. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

love this record. I don't think it has the lulls that his other records have (at least they're lulls for me). it's incredible.

25. phaynes1

Regular

like this more than pretty much anything else he's ever done

h8bit likes this.