Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Into It. Over It. - Figure (September 18, 2020; Triple Crown Records) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Drew Beringer, Jul 10, 2020.

1. At the start of 2017, Evan Thomas Weiss wasn’t sure that he would make Figure, his long-awaited fourth full-length record under namesake Into It. Over It. But built slowly and kindly with the help of his friends, Figure became his commitment to do better and to be better.

“It’s about trying to make peace with poor decisions that I’ve made,” Weiss says, “and how I can try to reconcile as much as I can, and what I can’t reconcile, how I’m going to cope with that moving forward, and what I can do to be better to the people around me.”

Weiss and drummer/audio engineer Adam Beck recorded and produced Figureover seven months in different studios around Chicago’s many neighborhoods with longtime friends and recording collaborators Matthew Jordan, Andrew Emil, and Mark Michalik. Mixed by Jason Cupp (Jimmy Eat World, American Football, Maps & Atlases) and mastered by Dave Kutch (American Football, Lana Del Rey, Solange), Figure contains 12 tracks––patient and considered, layered and epic––that map a crooked, unyielding journey forward through the streets and parks and bars and heartbreak of Logan Square.

Figure is out September 18 on Triple Crown Records, and it’s available to pre-order today. Earlier this week, an unmarked 7’’ IIOI flexi went up for sale and quickly sold out of its limited 500 copies. As listeners drop their needles, they’ll be met with “Living Up To Let You Down,” the first single from Figure, streaming everywhere today.

The ongoing transformation Weiss details across Figure––and specifically on “Living Up To Let You Down”––all started nearly 500 miles away from home back in 2017 when he turned a directionless weekend into a therapeutic break free to Nashville. It was there that Evan’s path became apparent; he linked up with a friend while there, one who was also yearning for a similar feeling of escape. They felt solace in each other’s confusion and pain, but also inspired one another to kickstart their own positive change. They even got matching tattoos. This shared experience, along with an agreement to move forward, in Evan’s words, “quite honestly may have saved my life.”

To make Figure—and to pull the frayed ends of his life back together—Weiss turned to community and collaboration, which was a departure from his usual solitary process. “Being a solo musician, you take control and you refuse to let it go, because it’s your thing,” Weiss says.

Enter drummer and audio engineer Adam Beck, with whom Weiss began writing in May 2017. Over the next two years, they assembled over 30 songs. “I owe that dude my life,” says Weiss. “He came in and saved me when I was in a really dark time.”

For Weiss, it was a chance to recapture the lightning-strike origins of Into It. Over It. “That excitement of starting a band for the first time is an irreplicable feeling. It’s really hard to get that feeling back, and if I didn’t come up with a way to reinvent the excitement of being in this band for the first time, it would’ve been the end of Into It. Over It.”
    track list:
    They Built Our Bench Again In Palmer Square
    Living Up To Let You Down
    Hollow Halos
    Perfect Penmanship
    Courtesy Greetings
    Breathing Patterns
    A Left Turn At Best Intentions
    Brushstrokes
    We Prefer Indoors
    Dressing Down // Addressing You
    A Lyric In My Head I Haven't Thought Of Yet
    A Light In The Trees

2. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Glad he’s back. Song is good!

3. Hmm... nah.

4. MegT585

Trusted

I’ve been waiting for this for what seems like forever and I’m so excited. I just preordered the clear pressing so fast.

5. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Verrry poppy for him, and while you can’t help bobbing along, it doesn’t seem like a good fit for his writing. The lyrics feel kinda crammed in there. Would be a better Pet Symmetry song in my opinion

6. Love the premise. Looking forward to the record.

7. Jim

Trusted Supporter

song is solid

8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Let's not forget

9. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Song is good---

Excited for this

10. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Yeah idk... having been a huge fan of his, I can't really say I'm excited for this. Just don't feel good about it.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Carrow like this.
  11. vidiviciveni

Trusted

And here's a statement from Evan this very website posted 3 years ago detailing his public and personal apology to the victim

Evan Weiss Issues Statement on Manager

Lest anyone mislead you into thinking he's "Writing And Selling An Album To Apologize" - he already acknowledged and handled that with the victim personally

If apologies and atonement aren't the aim here, it would be nice if people would just admit that its not reconciliation they're after at all

12. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I couldn’t remember what Evan did, but it’s a good refresher.

13. trevorshmevor Jul 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 10, 2020)
    Lol “this very website”, the link you posted is literally just Chorus reposting the exact same link I shared. How does that somehow hold any more relevance??

Also that apology came just a few days after the story broke. I don’t care who the person is, you do not go from feeling a-ok about telling a woman to “shut up and play along” to “all better now :)” in a matter of days. The statement is worthless.

I’ll be the first to say that I do not know Evan personally or what his life has looked like in the last couple of years since that all came out. Maybe he’s put in the work and has legitimately become more informed on misogyny and why what he did was so fucked up. What I do know is that the dude did what he did and it deserves to be brought up in the thread meant to promote his new album that will likely allow him to remain in the position he was in when he silenced a woman regarding her abuse in the first place

14. Anthony_

Also I've been trying to look up any statement from Hilary Corts regarding acceptance of that apology (which, as @trevorshmevor said, was only made AFTER Hilary put up her Facebook post detailing how horrible of a person Evan is) and I haven't been able to find anything.

So as far as we know, that self-interested statement he made was not accepted by the woman he treated so callously and he only "learned his lesson" once it started to directly affect his career.

It's not enough to just say the words. Sorry if hearing that ruins anyone's anticipation for this dude's new music (not actually sorry).

15. vidiviciveni

Trusted

It holds more relevance when you compare the article titles, because you’re framing it as though he’s using this album to apologize 3 years later when you know full well that isn’t the case, and so does everyone who uses this website

I agree about the optics, but in a well articulated and specific apology like that, it’s pretty clear the damage was acknowledged in a heartfelt manner and addressed privately between Evan and the victim. There’s nothing from the victims side now to indicate time hasn’t healed wounds or that she doesn’t want Evan to use his platform as an entertainer

I don’t get what is accomplished by this phony gotcha journalism pointed at the people who actually show contrition

Entoine likes this.
  16. Anthony_

Also I tried finding her on social media. I don't know if this is actually her twitter account, but if so it appears that "time hasn't healed wounds"

bradpetrik, Carrow, jorbjorb and 2 others like this.
  17. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Well, if she still feels that way about it years later, then I’m not sure his contrition rings all that authentically anymore

bradpetrik likes this.
  18. The article titles in question:
    - Former Into It. Over It. and Hellogoodbye Manager Accused of Sexual Assault
    - Evan Weiss issues statement on manager

ngl I do not understand your point there but whatever, not gonna argue over article titles with you lmao.

Look, Evan took like a week to come up with all the right lingo to throw into a statement after being called out for being a victim blaming asshole. IMO that should not be accepted as the bar for forgiveness or end-all-be-all for proof of growth, and reporting on it is not “gotcha journalism”.

edit: looks like more info has been posted, I’m good with ending this back and forth. Nothing else to say here. Big yikes @ Evan

Aaron Mook and Carrow like this.
  19. yeah, that press release is...not good. would be great if what happened actually made him reassess his life, values, and position, but I don't give a fuck about him getting a matching tattoo with someone. I care about the victim who clearly still feels silenced by what he did.

20. wow life comes at you fast when you just fucking love talking out your ass defending problematic artists whose work you enjoy

Nick, Matt Metzler, bachna84 and 6 others like this.
  21. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Lol holy fuck this site

You admit your error immediately when new (and admittedly unverfied) information is brought out and still you're talking out of your ass

There's literally no satisfying some of you. Get those likes gurr

Entoine and phaynes12 like this.
  22. your posts leading up to that were fucking embarrassing. i’m embarrassed for you

maybe take a timeout to reflect. take a break from jerking off to that harpers cancel culture letter

but whatever, see you next time you’re pushing against stuff like this and playing your little moral-highground-against-the-vicious-mob game

Nick, bachna84, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  23. Whoever is having a normal one in this thread is on my block list and evidently I did the right thing.

24. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

:efu::efu::efu:

Nick, Joe4th and Anthony_ like this.