Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Internet Security and Safety Guide • Page 5

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Will_Lopez

2. musicandlyrics

Xaxa Mckenzie

I have also read about this news awhile ago, geez these people have targetted hospital security. The problem with the hacking issue is the fact that they can't find the bandit.

3. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

That exploits of SMBv1, Server 2003, and XP are still affecting hundreds of thousands to millions of production systems is by far the more prescient takeaway. A script kiddie could have engineered this attack after an hour with Metasploit. Businesses taking for granted their security budgets are criminals more so than the engineers of these attacks. Anyway here's a temp fix if any of you folks get hit.

GitHub - HIBC2017/WANNAFIX: WANNAFIX is a mitigation script for the recent WANNACRY Ransomware attack!

edit: this.

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Work has been a nightmare today. Infected most of our networks, many PC's running XP and old servers that won't take the updates.

5. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

[​IMG]

6. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

7. jorbjorb

7 rings

8. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

9. lightning

"A lot of the screen names I’ve seen floating around contain things like pet names, important dates, hobbies and other personal identifying information that we’d be wise not to share in the open online. That kind of stuff, if not implicated in your current or past login/password combos, could be the missing piece for someone cracking a security question on one of your accounts. Particularly because security questions so often ask us things that longitudinally remain true throughout a lifetime, like your best friend’s name or your high school mascot. Sure, a hacker might be able to find these personal details a different way, but by sharing your info on Twitter or wherever else, you’ve just made it searchable within seconds."
    PSA: Don’t share your old AIM screen name

10. Security Alert: User Info Breach
    Yesterday, on October 5th, we were alerted to a security breach that impacted a database from 2012. While we are still investigating the incident, we believe that it is best to share what we know now. We know that a snapshot of our user database from 2012, including information dating back to 2007, was exposed. The snapshot includes email addresses, Disqus user names, sign-up dates, and last login dates in plain text for 17.5mm users. Additionally, passwords (hashed using SHA1 with a salt; not in plain text) for about one-third of users are included.

We sincerely apologize to all of our users who were affected by this breach. Our intention is to be as transparent as possible about what happened, when we found out, what the potential consequences may be, and what we are doing about it.

11. lightning

12. lightning

13. lightning

14. lightning

15. lightning

16. lightning

17. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

so uh does facebook screen ads at all or what?

IMG_5578.PNG

18. SilverHell

19. SilverHell

So I've wanted to compile my experiences about online security and privacy in one post. Here are some tips from me:

1. Don’t open shady links. Now that’s an obvious one, but often forgotten. ‘X tagged you in this’ or ‘look at this cute photo’ should always be taken with the grain of salt. Especially if you don’t often communicate with that person or that link doesn’t look too good like www.totallylegitsite69.com/photo.exe'
    2. Use quality antivirus software. Use something free like Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials or if you are willing to pay: Eset NOD32. Don’t skimp on this, it could save your digital life.
    3. Use a premium VPN. Nowadays you can barely trust your ISP to not log or use your data for potential gains. Especially in the US where they can sell your data to the advertisers. Pretty scary right? Pick something like NordVPN and get military grade security with respect to your privacy. I’ve dug out this coupon code earlier (USENORD60) which gets you 1 year of VPN for $60. A pretty good value I think.
    4. Use social media conservatively. Even if you take all the necessary precautions but post on Facebook that you aren’t home right now, it isn’t really safe, is it?
    5. Even more, I recommend not using social media, because they track you. Everybody tracks you online. Limit yourself of Google, use Duck Duck Go for searching, Privacy Badger for tracking cookies and HTTPS Everywhere extensions for security, ProtonMail for securely encrypted mail. Also, you could get one of the safest OS out there, Tails.

Here are my 2 cents. Hope these tips are useful to someone.

20. Iain

Regular

RyanPm40 likes this.
  21. nathandev Oct 24, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 17, 2019)
    nathandev

Protecting your computer, you have to go to a professional product to protect your perimeter and not a home version of an antivirus. I have quite recently figured out how to live with it How to Setup VPN on a Router - TechLoris and figure it isn't harming anything and nobody has stolen any of my data.

22. HoesOnMe

To be honest, didnt see any better antivirus than W10 antivirus.

23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Going through accounts and enabling passkeys in 1PW for those that allow it. Feels neat!

cashlion likes this.