Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Instagram Website

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Instagram (Official Thread)

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This may be my most used social media these days. But that just may be my insane addiction to travel photoblogs.

3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Interestingly, Instagram has been really good for me career/drumming-wise. It's a good way to get attention from companies, other musicians, etc. I've really been enjoying using it as a tool and an asset.

ilikedesigning likes this.
  4. I'm so glad they added the account switching. I made two new accounts the day it was available, simply for the sake of ease.

ChaseTx likes this.
  5. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

This was the best update in a long time.

6. Meerkat

I'm not sure how I feel about videos now just showing how many times they've been viewed and not showing likes

7. alert=danger

Eat The City. Eat It Whole. Prestigious

I think having a view counter is a good idea, but I think they should have something showing likes as well.

8. Garrett

I like that you don't have to have eleven likes to see numbers on photos. Always been a minor pet peeve of mine if a photo didn't get eleven likes.

9. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I'm on this app way too much. I don't post a whole lot, but I check it several times a day. Might have to start cutting back.
    Same here. Especially when it topped out at 10.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  10. Meerkat

Instagram is apparently moving towards a "most popular" feed over the "most recent" feed they currently use. Do not want.

morgantayler and ChaseTx like this.
  11. muttley

So what, I'll have to change my setting to "most recent" every three days like I do with Facebook? So fucking stupid. I hope there's a better option because that sounds awful.

ChaseTx and Meerkat like this.
  12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

horrible idea, apparently twitter are doing the same.

iplaydrums likes this.
  13. Meerkat

I hate it so much. Ugh.

14. muttley

If they don't give me the option to keep it chronological, I don't think I'll continue to use the app. That defeats the purpose of Instagram entirely. How could anyone think that's a good idea? I honestly don't understand the logic behind it.

15. Everyone thinks they hate algorithmic feeds, but virtually every quantifiable piece of data shows that most users actually use, like, and find them better. With the scale of users on Twitter/Instagram, it's almost a must do if you want to keep user growth. Twitter not doing it years ago is part of the reason why they have failed so miserably to bring in new and more regular users.

Mokena likes this.
  16. Meerkat

@Jason Tate That's interesting to me because I absolutely loathe algorithmic feeds in platforms where I'm already picking and choosing what I'm following. If it's a news site, that's one thing. But theoretically, I want to see everything that's showing up on my feed whether people are liking and commenting on it or not.

Garrett L. likes this.
  17. The issue is at scale no one can see everything, and in reality most people really don't want everything they think they do. The idea of not missing anything aounds good in theory, but not seeing the "pooping" status update and not missing the new wedding announcement that happened when you were sleeping or away, does lead to happier and more engaged users. The vast majority of people aren't completionists on any platform but as it grows -- and just being a member for a length of time means your lists grow -- it becomes virtually impossible to be with the amount of posts being made.

18. Meerkat

That makes sense. I guess I'm in a minority that's good about going through and clearing out social media and deleting/hiding/blocking people as it becomes necessary.

Garrett L. likes this.
  19. Garrett

I would understand algorithms on twitter more than I would understand it on Instagram. There is a significantly less volume (unless you have friends doing pyramid weight loss product schemes). I don't mind missing tweets. I don't go through my twitter timeline until I reach the place I left off on my last visit. I DO do that on Instagram, though.

Mokena likes this.
  20. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I rarely follow/friend people, and hide stuff from time to time, so I prefer seeing things in order XD

iplaydrums likes this.
  21. But if the end goal is to increase volume, so people post more, more people sign up, and you follow more people ... then what happens? And, theoretically, if you only follow a very small number of people you'll still see everything because you don't follow enough for it to matter. But I'd bet most people follow more people, and miss more things, than they think they do.

22. I think the long term argument is machines are going to be better at that than humans and will know beforehand if it's something you'd want to see before you ever needing to block or hide it.

23. Meerkat

I think then I'd prefer that come from Twitter and Instagram having more of a hide/blacklist feature. I'm more concerned with "how do I get rid of every dumb political meme" than "how do I avoid something no one else commented on"

24. I'm sure Instagram will, since Facebook does. No idea what Twitter is doing, they're a mess.

Carmensaopaulo and Meerkat like this.
  25. Meerkat

I'm not sure how Instagram would pull it off, but I'd love it. The muting option definitely helps with Twitter, but I'd definitely love to see something more in line with Facebook's hiding abilities or even something similar to Tumblr's Blacklist extension