Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Instagram Redesigns, Gets New Icon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 11, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Instagram has finally updated their icon to go along with a new layout. The icon’s not my favorite (I think it would look better reversed), but the new layout is well conceived.

Today we’re introducing a new look. You’ll see an updated icon and app design for Instagram. Inspired by the previous app icon, the new one represents a simpler camera and the rainbow lives on in gradient form. We’ve made improvements to how the Instagram app looks on the inside as well. The simpler design puts more focus on your photos and videos without changing how you navigate the app.

The post Instagram Redesigns, Gets New Icon appeared first on chorus.fm.

2. AutopilotYears

Regular

i don't mind the changes to the actual app itself but that icon is just awful

3. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

boooooo i hate change. just kidding. i don't hate it, but i'm not in love with it either. i think they went too far with simplifying it, losing a bit of the Instagram charm but it's understandable considering no one really uses the vintage polaroid filters anymore. the icon itself is okay, but i feel like the apple-like gradient will make it outdated in a few years. the icon is kinda of a disconnect from the awesome logotype, but the UI is great. i'm sure i'll get used to it considering how much time i spend looking at instagram.

4. chris-wrecker

Trusted

Like everyone else, love the UI hate the icon

5. jorbjorb

7 rings

love both

6. They both look super cool to me. Always up for some change

7. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Layout is good, icon is alright. Not the best, but I've seen worse.

8. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Like Uber's?

9. Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  10. Mr. Serotonin

Haha, i'll NEVER understand why they did that. Doesn't make a lick of sense.

AelNire likes this.
  11. I think it was a case of the CEO thinking he was a designer. Haha. He was way, way, way too involved. Some of the articles I read about that one were like a "what not to do" guide.

Way I look at it: some people may hate the new chorus logo when we unveil it, but it's no Uber.

cybele, sean_rugy, coleslawed and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr. Serotonin

Haha, I have faith @Jason Tate. I'm sure it'll be beauteous.

13. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I don't understand the Uber logo

Christian Romero likes this.
  14. Mr. Serotonin

Haha, no one does. They fucked up.

15. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

Omg that fuckin uber icon. i only got used to it because I use uber a lot. and that pretentious write up, i love to hate it

heymattrick likes this.
  16. Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  17. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Icons not too bad. It definitely pops on my homescreen because of the bright colors. For them, that probably means "mission accomplished".

18. bodkins

Trusted

When a notification pops up I keep thinking Apple Music is trying to tell me something. Do like the app layout though. Icon is whatever.

19. jorbjorb

7 rings

alright now that I spent some time with it I do not like the layout/icon lol. sucks.

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

It only took me about two minutes to move Instagram off of my home screen because of that icon. It also makes me think that when you open the app it's not going to be just black and white for the new UI. So it doesn't really make sense at all to me to use those colors for the icon.

chris-wrecker likes this.
  21. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Still have resisted the urge to instagram, I thought about making one just for photography though

22. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I thought the UI changes were really minimal and only really noticed it on profiles but it might be my dated Galaxy S6.

The icon has the exact same colors as Samsung's Milk music app. Not that anyone uses milk but it tripped me up a bit at first.

23. Clark

@yttebkralc Prestigious

24. CMilliken

Trusted

Icon is one of the worst I've seen. All other updates to the app are great.

25. CMilliken

Trusted

This made me laugh so hard this morning when I saw it.