Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Instagram Is the Internet’s New Home for Hate

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Taylor Lorenz, writing at The Atlantic:

Instagram is teeming with these conspiracy theories, viral misinformation, and extremist memes, all daisy-chained together via a network of accounts with incredible algorithmic reach and millions of collective followers—many of whom, like Alex, are very young. These accounts intersperse TikTok videos and nostalgia memes with anti-vaccination rhetoric, conspiracy theories about George Soros and the Clinton family, and jokes about killing women, Jews, Muslims, and liberals.

jorbjorb likes this.
  2. somethingwitty

Trusted

Gross...its amazing to think that social media was created within academic settings and is now the greatest contributer of misinformation that we have today.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Just burn it all down

scottlechowicz likes this.
  4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

If one day I woke up and all "social media" was gone, it'd be for the better

5. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

What did they think would happen when people with all kinds of opinions and views can access a social media platform in this day and age with memes? I can’t count how many times I’ve seen flat earth conspiracy accounts and big chungas.

AllenRicketts likes this.
  6. AllenRicketts

Regular

It's almost like the same people still exist.

7. BradBradley

Regular

The best aspect of the internet: everyone can have a voice! The worst aspect of the internet: everyone can have a voice!

8. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

The internet is some jack ass trying to hammer in a nail with a block of cheese.

9. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I’ve been off Facebook for 2 years and I quit Instagram and Twitter 6 months ago.

Legitimately one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Don’t miss it at all.

10. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Misinformation has been spread by every medium (ie Newspapers, television, radio, etc) anyway. If you absolutepunkers hate social media so much then just continue to deactivate your accounts and let the rest of us enjoy it.

11. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

oh cool, this guy is back

coleslawed likes this.
  12. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Oh, we like it, we just don't like it with people like you in it.

13. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Boohoo. Set your account to private and don't follow. But you're missing out on great content - my dog is cute af

14. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Sup bruh. What's your Instagram @? I'll follow

15. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

We're Chorusfmers, you dolt.

GetUpAndrew and St. Nate like this.
  16. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Doesn't sound as cool though, Tez. The OG squad are absolutepunkers

17. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

You enjoy misinformation?

beachdude and slimfenix182 like this.
  18. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

No. But I rarely see it unless I seek for it; I enjoy debating/challenging misinformation (especially with the current political climate, i.e. Brexit negotiations).

Certainly wouldn't deactivate my account over it. But maybe I'm not absolutepunk enough.

19. inagreendase

There was actually a pretty interesting interview on Last Week Tonight recently with Monica Lewinsky where she mentions having had to live through a social media-free era as the incessant target of public bullying and mentioned that she thought it might actually have helped her through the process to have it exist since people would have a way to message her any support at all.

20. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'm not following you, you smart man.

I also don't think you know what the purpose of setting your account to private is.

21. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

"Misinformation has spread everywhere!"

"There's actually very little misinformation, and I only come across it when I specifically look for it!"

22. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

imagine getting upset because people were being mean to instagram

23. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Or you just misread.

"By every medium (ie Newspapers, television, radio, etc) anyway." I said.
    Yes, like the equivalent of avoiding certain newspapers, TV shows, radio stations. Didnt deny the misinformation wasn't there but only when you're really seeking for it - else, get new friends?

24. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Imagine running a website continuously posting articles mocking all social media websites whilst simultaneously using them and including plug-ins for users to share content on said social sites.

25. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

[​IMG]