Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Instagram’s Co-Founders Leave Company

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mike Isaac, reporting for The New York Times:

Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, the co-founders of the photo-sharing app Instagram, have resigned and plan to leave the company in coming weeks, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter. The exits add to the challenges facing Instagram’s parent company, Facebook.

Mr. Systrom, Instagram’s chief executive, and Mr. Krieger, the chief technical officer, notified Instagram’s leadership team and Facebook on Monday of their decision to leave, said the people, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Whoa. This isn’t a good sign for the future of Instagram.

2. whoa is right - that's really fucking odd

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Mounting customer complaints no doubt. Their tiered rollout of features has been nothing short of a disaster, and it probably has all sorts of things mucked up internally.

I’m sure that’s just one of many nails in the coffin.

5. Please Facebook, don’t ruin Instagram.

6. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

If I had to guess, their golden handcuffs are off: they've completed their promised time to Facebook, which means they've collected their bonuses. I'm sure it's a mix of not wanting to be tied to a company currently embroiled in so much bad press, but also wanting to try something new.

7. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

That's really interesting. Hopefully the truth comes out and we find out what really happened.

8. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Low-key hoping this is the beginning of the end of "social media" as we've known it. Especially the past few years of it.

9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

wait...wut? So in what ways do ya'll think this will be bad news for insta?
    I'm honestly confused. It's clearly one of the most popular apps. People can rake in hella money on there so I don't understand why they would discontinue it or something

10. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

That stock is vested fo sho

11. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

For founders, they usually want them there 4-5 years, so I'd have to say so. But aside from the stock being vested, they often get offered extra money if they fulfill a certain amount of time there on top of vested stock.

12. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

it's interesting to see these tech optimists realize that they should not have been so optimistic

14. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified