Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Inside The Great Poop Emoji Feud

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Charlie Warzel, writing for BuzzFeed:

And meanwhile, over at the Unicode Consortium, there is a contentious debate over a scowling pile of shit.

Digital shit, of course.

According to public consortium documents, Unicode, the technical organization in charge of selecting and overseeing emojis, is embroiled in a fierce debate over a series of proposed emojis, including, but not limited to, “Frowning Pile Of Poo” and “Sliced Bagel.” The heated discussions are the latest in a long-simmering dispute over the future of the 24-year-old organization, which has been — somewhat unexpectedly — tasked with governing what some see as the first digital universal language.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I agree with most of the sentiments from the UTC, but geez I wish they'd just get rid of it entirely, lol. I'm probably in the minority there though.

Like, I can't see any conversation where this emoji would ever be necessary for someone to use. And if they do use it, it's probably not someone I want to talk to.

Raku likes this.
  3. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Haha crazy to me that this is someone's job.. they come home from work to talk about their day and this is what they discuss.

4. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Haha. Leave it to programmers to argue the semantics of actual shit.

(if only we put this amount of effort into solving actual problems!!!!)

5. Analog Drummer

Regular

Let’s not forget about google having the wrong order of ingredients top to bottom on their hamburger emoji

6. punchlinekid

this wind changed me..

diarrhea, maybe?

7. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

The blowfish emoji is so underrated btw

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. Analog Drummer

Regular

My sister thought it was a chocolate ice cream til this year

9. adleon18

I will be honest, I did not read the article but I think is super funny and pointless that a feud over a poop emoji has an article to start with ... yet here I am commenting on a thread about it haha :poop:

I had the same thought hahaha

10. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Iago

forbidden chalice.

is for when u feel like shit and are sad about it

It sort of reminds me of the Tumblr-esque "life sucks but whatever" culture where you point to a pile of trash and say "same", "me", or "relatable". I feel like the emojii would see a lot of use in that type of demographic.