Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Insane Clown Posse Lose Legal Fight Over Juggalo ‘Gang’ Label

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jon Blistein, writing for Rolling Stone:

The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Monday that the FBI’s decision to list the Juggalos as a gang was not a “final agency” action, meaning it was not legally binding and could not be challenged in court.

The FBI classified the Juggalos as a gang in their 2011 National Gang Threat Assessment. The report referred to them as “a loosely-organized hybrid gang” that engages in “sporadic, disorganized, individualistic” crime such as, “simple assault, personal drug use and possession, petty theft and vandalism.”

2. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

Fuckin’ Court Rulings, how do they work?

3. Iamhollywood315

Regular

"gang" lmfao. ICP fans are just trashy soda drinking goofballs.

Raku likes this.
  4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Not a fan of ICP, but they're just fans of a rap group. Yes, the label and culture is there, but they're not a gang.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  5. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

We must stop these monsters.

Raku likes this.
  6. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Pour out a faygo for these guys.

7. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

"engages in “sporadic, disorganized, individualistic” crime such as simple assault, personal drug use and possession, petty theft and vandalism" lol if that's the criteria then these court dorks should experience a night out in my town (Saturday night) - whole DAMN town would be classed as a gang member!!!

8. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I mean, isn't that pretty much how the FBI described them, but in a much more formal, politically correct way?

9. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Yeah, but I think the formal designation prohibits them from stuff. What venue wants to offer a permit to a group that’s gang related?

...actually, probably a lot. I imagine the stigma has to cause some barriers for them. That was a bad example on my part.

I think the designation is silly. What gang consists of PERSONAL drug possession and use? They basically took a loose collection of people (they even described it as loosely organized... aka not organized) and slapped a label on them.

I don’t get why they let this case get so far just to be like, oh it’s not even able to be appealed because it’s not an official ruling or whatever. Our wonderful court system.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  10. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

There's a pretty fucking slippery slope argument to be made that this will allow courts to classify all kinds of fandom and randomly connected people as a gang, and THAT. IS. TERRIFYING. Full stop. The article below does a great job of explaining what they're about and what they were hoping to achieve.

What the Fuck Happened at the Juggalo March on Washington

I don't doubt that some of the Juggalos aren't great people. But our scene is filled with shitbags, and those in glass houses shouldn't throw a goddamn stone. Imagine being lumped in with the dickbags in Neck Deep, Front Porch Step, Jesse Lacey and being told because you're a fan, because you're part of their lifestyle, we're going to saddle you with this label. It comes up on all kinds of reports: child custody hearings. Parole. Anything that the court and people would want to use against you to paint you with the unfair stigma that this label has.

Don't laugh, and don't think it couldn't happen in our scene eventually. This sets a dangerous, depressing precedent and you should be in solidarity with them in their fight against bullshit like this at all levels, instead of laughing that it isn't you. Because some day, it might be.

suicidesaints likes this.
  11. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Fuck you. You really don't get it.

I'm not a Juggalo, but to mock them for being fans and now receiving a criminal designation is a Pandora's box where eventually, we can all be labeled for being part of a collective scene like this one. That affects everything from custody battles to job applications.

It's WAY MORE than just a label, especially in the hands of this administration. An attack on one is an attack on all.

suicidesaints likes this.