Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30th 2023) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It's hard for me to feel too excited for this. Sure Disney's behind it but I don't know if I have that much of a desire to watch 75 year old Indiana Jones running around.

I would be interested if this were to be made into a transition movie; Indy meets a young adventurer kid (John Boyega? Teyonah Parris?) and hands off the reigns. Maybe Indy dies. The franchise goes the Creed/Force Awakens route to launch a new protagonist into their own series of films. I think Kingdom of the Crystal Skull tried to do that a little bit with Shia LaBeouf but, you know. That movie was bad. I'm sure Disney would like the franchise to be able to continue well into a post-Ford future, but I'd prefer Ford handing off to a new character rather than a reboot with a new actor in the same role.

I'll never miss a new Spielberg film but my expectations will be tempered a little bit.

troyplaysbass and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  3. Pretty much my thoughts as well. I definitely agree that I'd rather see a transition to a new character than another actor taking over the role, but I'm not sure how they'd handle that while keeping "Indiana Jones" on the marquee every time.

coleslawed likes this.
  4. sawhney[rusted]

luv is blind

Or it could be a new character who has to look for the artifact that is Indiana Jones.

5. Crystal Skull is one of the only movies I've wanted to legit boo after seeing in theatres. I'll see any SS movie, but they better get a great writer this time.

6. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Well, this probably isn't going to get you excited about the new one..

7. :crylaugh:

I'm so out

Eric Wilson likes this.
  8. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Hahaha.. Figured after all the backlash from that one they would have wanted to try someone else out.

9. You'd think. Not a coincidence I think those are the worst Spielberg movies.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  10. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

The writer certainly doesn't get my hopes up... But I have a hard time saying I won't go see it, because it's probably a lie, hahaha

Eric Wilson likes this.
  11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Spielberg said he isn't killing off Indy at the end of this one. lol

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

It has always been weird to try and understand the backlash that the newest Indiana Jones film received. It was the same exact sort of movie as its predecessors. What has always helped rise the film above its origin is the talents of Spielberg as a filmmaker, whether it is high drama or a genre film. It is very similar to the way people will deeply criticize Lost World for a few bad scenes while ignoring some of the most brilliant work he has ever done.

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

People thought Jones surviving a nuclear blast inside a refrigerator was too unrealistic. They long for the time when Jones survived evil spirits coming out of an ark melting people's faces and exploding their bodies, which was much more grounded in reality.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

That was always a peculiar criticism. If it had come out in the Eighties no one would say these things.

David Parke and CarpetElf like this.
  15. Jake Gyllenhaal

I think another criticism is the casting of Shia Labeouf and the reveal that he is Henry and Marion's son. He wasn't terrible in it but they could have cast a better actor. Personally it's my least favorite entry but I like how they incorporated 50's culture and post-Roswell extraterrestrial lore into the story.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

CarpetElf and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

Does all of this end with Harrison Ford dying on the set of a Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Blade Runner? Let the man rest.

CarpetElf and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  18. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised if whoever owns the rights is kicking the tires on the Fugitive or Air Force One sequels.

Personally I'm waiting for the Working Girl reboot to launch the Mike Nichols expanded universe.

19. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

The Fugitiv3, starring Vin Diesel.

20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

All reports show that this still doesn't have a script yet. They've done well with Star Wars, but this seems like a bad sign to me.

21. Even Jurassic Park??

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

23. Jake Gyllenhaal

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Probably a huge payday for Ford, so he probably won't mind at all playing the character again at that age. Will allow him to keep buying/flying more planes, haha. If anything helps remove the memory of the mess that was Crystal Skull, please yes. Was George Lucas executive producer for Crystal Skull as well?

25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Maybe write the script before you set a release date.