Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

If/when music venues open this year, will you feel comfortable enough to attend shows? Tour • Page 3

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Agreed. With the way Ticketmaster has decided to handle this, I think artists need to stand up and just cancel tours so that people get their money back. It sucks for all involved, but that's definitely the best thing to do.

True, that guy in the New York Times article was the only expert to mention concerts specifically, but I've just seen the 18-month timeline bandied around a lot in general for how long it will take before things can really go back to "normal." I hope that's not the case, but I'm bracing myself for it. It's hard for me to picture much of anything happening in the way of big gatherings or events in 2020.

I'm sure they'll be looking at every strategy available to them.

2. SPine

Trusted

At this point I'd rather have all my money back. I don't see any shows happening this year.

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I wouldnt mind the $300+ i spent on MCR & Bright Eyes combined back, but at the same time, I don't want to go through the hell of trying to get those tickets again should they re-schedule dates and have an entirely new on-sale lol

Contender likes this.
  4. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I too have been sick when we were hurdling towards our peak here. At first I though there's no way it was Covid because I didn't have a cough or breathing problems, but the variety of reported symptoms has increased since then so I am wondering. I have been in some places they later identified as high risk in the two weeks before I got sick. I hope I had it, but I don't know when I'll be able to find out.

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Things are changing so rapidly and by the day...it's hard to predict the short or long-term future. I mean, a month ago, tours were postponing and rescheduling for this May/June. A few weeks ago, more tours were being postponed and being rescheduled for the fall, which now is looking extremely ambitious. I think now we're just going to see more postponement announcements with no details on the future of the tour.

It's likely we will not have a vaccine until mid to late 2021, at best (although some doctors are cautiously optimistic we may have on by Spring 2021). And even then, it may not be widely available to the masses.

But, maybe we have a strong treatment option by end of this summer or fall?

We don't know. Everything is changing so quickly. What is true today, may not be true a week from now.

For instance, I live in Ohio, and a month ago, they were saying we could see 8,000 new cases per day. We've yet to see more than 500 cases per day and it seems that Ohio has flattened its curve. Yes, I understand that not everyone has been tested, so the numbers are most definitely higher, but the point is, some predictions made a few weeks to a month ago have turned out wildly different than what they are now. MOSTLY because everyone is listening and staying at home. I do fear that re-opening the country - albeit slowly - will cause a major spike in cases again, as we are seeing in other countries. There is just so many unknown things about this crisis.

I realize this post is kind of all over the place but I will say this, we should all continue to plan for worst case scenario's.

Hope for the best, expect the worst. I personally do not think any shows or events of any capacity will happen in the next six to eight months. To me, it doesn't make a difference if there are 200 people in attendance or 20,000. As of this moment, that just seems like a huge risk.

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My family is in a similar boat. In mid-February my wife had an illness come on out of nowhere. She went to work on a Friday morning feeling kind of ill and by the end of the work day, she couldn't even move she was so sick. We took her to the ER because I thought she maybe had Strep or the flu and the doctors were convinced she had the flu. All the typical symptoms. The flu test came back negative and the doctors were so surprised that they still prescribed her Tamiflu because they were certain she had it.

She went home that night and was bedridden until Tuesday with fever and the worst cough of her life and headaches and aches. She went back to the doctor and they were now saying they didn't think it was the flu but rather a respiratory illness (at this point COVID-19 was not widespread at all, or at least we thought). It took her about a week to really recover. The next week, I had a fever and shortness of breath for about a week. I remember going to the gym not feeling all that great, and had to drop to my knees several times because I couldn't breathe. I remember calling my wife when I left the gym telling her that I felt unlike I've never felt before and I was concerned something major was wrong.

Both my kids (5 & 2) had fevers and a terrible, croup like cough. They both went to the doctor and were flu tested (negative) and the doctors said it wasn't croup either. They didn't know what it was.

According to the Director of the Ohio Department of Health, Dr. Acton, she said Ohio is a 'sister state' of Wuhan, China, and the reason Ohio was one of the first states to make extremely strict measures before any confirmed cases was because they were certain this illness was going around in Ohio for a few months before anyone knew it due to the travel and business done between Wuhan and Ohio.

I'll never say for 100% certainty that COVID went through my house, but I'm hoping that it was.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  7. Renee

dry clean only Prestigious

The only thing I had coming up was The Format (July ain't gonna happen) and it's been 13 years since I've seen them, I can wait a few more if need be.

8. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Take comfort in knowing that every single one of these reunions will undoubtedly still happen at a later date. I agree that everyone should get their money back if they wish, but rest assured, if you want to see these bands, you'll see them eventually for sure.

9. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

The thing is once the bars re-open “live music” will technically be back. No matter the timeline, shows are going to start out small and regional. I can see bands booking weekend regional tours last minute, but nothing more than that this year. There’s too much of a risk in scheduling a full tour, and it’ll unfortunately be that way for a while.

10. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Depending in the country I wouldn't count on bars and restaurants reopening in a way that allows for live music, unless they are playing for five people.

Mrplum5089, Contender and 333 GANG like this.
  11. Tifoil

ñ

Same reason I'm not asking for a refund on Rage Against The Machine tickets nor Riot Fest if (or when) they cancel

12. 333 GANG

ACAB

Yeah, it’s been said here in Canada when bars/restaurants do reopen they will only be permitted to do so at like 1/3 capacity or so. I don’t see live music being a part of it anytime soon.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  13. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

Probably not.

14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Yes. My only hesitation is that as a man who loves his moshing, i get a feeling those eye-rolls are going to be even MORE intense so ehhh dont know if its worth it.

15. heymattrick

Sending my love

"Excuse me, I'm just trying to get through to my friend who's at the front" *violent cough* "Excuse me" *cough*

16. ALT/MSC/FAN

People will social distance their ass far away from someone coughing at a show.

17. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Kind of impossible to do when:
    a) You have no idea when the person is going to start coughing
    b) You are in a packed crowd with nowhere to move (i.e. you are near the front and the room is filled)

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  18. ALT/MSC/FAN

T'was a joke

GrantCloud, riotspray and ItsAndrew like this.
  19. Cmoney86

Trusted

Amazon most def has more then 300 people in their warehouses. the one I work at we have between inbound and outbound close to 700-800 people a shift. On Wednesdays my department has over 100. With the mandatory overtime they’ve been calling it’s prolly closer to 1000 people per shift so around 2000 people every single day. And that’s why my building has 10 plus cases of it right now

20. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

People working in a warehouse with the same people every day, likely wearing masks/gloves, and hopefully taking other precautions, isn't the same as a band traveling all over the place playing to large crowds of different people every single night.

21. Darth Annihilus

Regular

At UPS here in Orlando they only precaution they're taking is spraying some disinfectant on handrails between shifts and its half assed at that.

22. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

When this is all said and done and we find out Florida did the least to protect its citizens, I will be very unsurprised.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  23. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

I took a drive through Newport Beach on Sunday, and it was crowded, like Coronavirus wasn’t even a thing. Tons without masks, no social distancing, etc. And I heard that 40,000 people visited that weekend.

Ugh. We’re in this for the long run

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

25. heymattrick

Sending my love

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of people went to the beaches as soon as they re-opened in the past week. I saw 40,000 as an estimate for some SoCal beaches.