Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins; 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TJ Wells, Aug 2, 2018.

1. mad

I was right. Prestigious

saw this tonight! beautiful really feels like the best word to describe this movie

jkauf likes this.
  2. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

this was an absolutely gorgeous love story.

but boy i walked away so depressed afterwards.

3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Even better on rewatch

4. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Goddamn the color and lighting in this is perfection. Score too.

aoftbsten and Maybevictor like this.
  5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Really really want to see this.

7. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I could tell Jenkins is inspired by Wong Kar Wai after watching Moonlight, but now even more so. Beale Street is his In The Mood For Love.

8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was absolutely beautiful and might be my favorite of 2018. It had almost a fairy tale like tone to it, despite this being far from a happily ever after story. I think it makes the overarching love story all that more powerful. And the scene with Brian Tyree Henry, good god, put that man in everything. Possibly my favorite film score of 2018. I need to read the book and then see this again.

popdisaster00 and OotyPa like this.
  9. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I think about that shot of Regina King walking into the bar bathed in blue light all the time.

10. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

seeing this on Friday. very very excited.

jkauf likes this.
  11. jmitch0906

Quorn

Saw this, this past weekend and thought it was really great. Very easy to get invested in the characters and loved the way it was shot and the whole "feel" of the film. Definitely need to pick up the book and read it.

jkauf likes this.
  12. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Seeing this tonight

jkauf likes this.
  13. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

my god this film. i am so glad to be alive at the same time as Barry Jenkins and getting to watch these fucking masterpieces. both Moonlight (and now Beale Street) are such monumentally important films for me. i desperately need to find a copy of Medicine for Melancholy

14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Great movie overall. Incredible direction by Jenkins, gorgeous cinematography, and standout performances by King and Henry. I did find it a bit ponderous and overlong in some parts and think it could have been a bit shorter. But a worthy follow up to Moonlight.

15. AndrewSoup

say all you will about award shows and their whatever "weight" they actually hold/whether anyone gives a shit about nominations; i am legit upset that they shut this film out of Picture, Director, and Cinematography. Best Actor/tress too. i can't stop thinking how fucking gorgeous this film was

aoftbsten and jkauf like this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This is truly beautiful. It sold me in just about every way. Nearly every flashback scene had me tearing up.

17. This was great. So tender. Loved the score too.

Between this and Homecoming, which I'm still watching, Stephan James had a good 2018.

18. AndrewSoup

for a second, i thought you meant Spider-Man Homecoming, lmao

i'm dumb

19. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I loved this. So many things done so well. Made me feel a lot of different emotions and looked gorgeous. The music was fantastic throughout too.

Serh likes this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

On hulu

OotyPa and popdisaster00 like this.
  21. So good. Felt dreamlike at times. Barry Jenkins is a master.

jkauf, Serh and aoftbsten like this.
  22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

AWasteOfATime and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

24. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

absolute faith that that will fuck