Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

I Won’t Be Marginalized by Online Harassment

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Kelly Marie Tran, writing at The New York Times:

It wasn’t their words, it’s that I started to believe them.

Their words seemed to confirm what growing up as a woman and a person of color already taught me: that I belonged in margins and spaces, valid only as a minor character in their lives and stories.

And those words awakened something deep inside me — a feeling I thought I had grown out of. The same feeling I had when at 9, I stopped speaking Vietnamese altogether because I was tired of hearing other kids mock me.

Gallhammer and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

She deserves no less than the best

Gallhammer likes this.
  3. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Much love to her. She was one of my favorite parts of The Last Jedi (and I didn't love the movie, to be honest.)

4. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

gzyzwvzvsz211.jpg

5. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Speaking as someone who didn't like Rose at all, all this awful shit just makes me want to see more of her to spite these little incel fucks. Seriously, give her more screentime and an increased role in Episode IX, just to show those turds how little their opinions matter...

SuNDaYSTaR and Jonathan like this.
  6. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I don't think we'll ever fully grasp how much the internet - and specifically the ability to harass and complain semi-anonymously has altered the world. The abuse so many people like her take is one example - and both the abused and abuser change through it, but also what it's all meant for politics, business, compassion, selfish entitlement, etc.