Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

I The Mighty - Where The Mind Wants to Go / Where You Let it Go (October 20, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by zsoty27, Aug 29, 2017.

1. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Wow... this record (at least on first listen) is a major step down from Connector. Bummer... I love Connector and had high hopes for this record.

2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

“Pet Names” is cool musically but lyrically is pretty juvenile lol.

3. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Yeah, that's one of the highlights for me musically but I don't think I could play it around anyone else without some real embarrassment.

"Silver Tongues" might actually be my favorite overall. Really solid musically and the lyrics are decent/tolerable, which clears a bar most of the rest can't.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

“Escapism” is pretty good.. I’m trying really hard to like this record haha

5. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I enjoy this album, from Where the Mind Wants to Go to the end is very solid, I could do without the first 3 songs tbh

6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

"Pet Names", "Chaos in Motion" and "Escapism" are my three least favourites musically and lyrically. I really like most of the rest. "The Sound of Breathing" is easily my favourite though, I love that song.

BigMouth likes this.
  7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Listening to Connector right now and it’s x59305937 better than this new record in pretty much every aspect.

BigMouth and SpyKi like this.
  8. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Your three least favorites are some of my favorites musically at least haha, I think they’re some of the most memorable and catchy tracks on here.

9. beachdude

Been listening to this a bunch more since it officially dropped, still really dig this album. Probably prefer Connector, but not by much.

solxace likes this.
  10. SpyKi

Idk, I've just always hated that kind of slow, plodding chorus. I have the same problem with "Symphony of Skin" too but I like the verses a ton on that so it evens out. I don't think they're horrible, they're just stopping me from really enjoying this as a whole.

11. beachdude

Fair enough! Pet Names’ chorus is great imo, setting aside some iffy lyrics.

12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

“Andrew’s Song” has to be one of ITM’s best songs. There’s no song on par with that off the new record sadly..

beachdude42, solxace and SpyKi like this.
  13. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

My issue with the lyrics are two fold and the first part is probably related to my age. I'm 30, and I still like this kind of music, but I often find the lyrical content of this genre harder and harder to relate to. There's a lot of talk of struggling to fit into the 40 hour work week, failed relationships, and the desire to just party and live it up and never accept the responsibilities of growing up. 10 years ago that would have been relate-able to me, but now it just feels like it's aimed at a demographic that I'm no longer part of, which sucks as I still dig the hell of this type of songwriting musically. I get they're musicians, and that creative types often struggle with this aspect of society, but rather than being deep and introspective about it, these lyrics come across as juvenile. Also 111 Winchester is an awesome song, but the short story format is just so incredibly corny, I honestly laughed the first time I genuinely listened to the lyrics.

Secondly, some of the lyrics and the way that Brent seems to view relationships just don't sit well with me. especially pet names. Even if like 111 Winchester, it's just a story and not his feelings, I don't like that perspective or that it's promoted (the whole wallowing in drinking and the stalking part...). It's not as bad as some of the other lyrics that have been criticized in the genre, but a lot of these lyrics on this album just reek of Brent saying 'I'm such a nice guy, why haven't I found anyone yet'.

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This xinfinity.

I’m 30 too and while I like ITM quite a bit- it does get hard to relate or simply not cringe at some lyrics. There’s a lot of bands within this (for lack of a better word) “scene” that I just can’t listen to anymore because the lyrics are so juvenile. Pierce the Veil is a prime example. “Misadventures” comes off as it was made for the teens who shop at Hot Topic which is fine but just not for me anymore (I think their other records still have some bangers though).

Anyways- agree as well about Brent’s lyrics (from all their records) that are questionable and borderline troubling at times.

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Well I’m 26, and married with a house/career. I’ve only listened once like I said. Didn’t pay a whole lot attention to the lyrics. Didn’t pick up on any trying to party still lyrics though....

16. SpyKi

I dig 111 Winchester a lot. I've been watching a fair amount of teen slashers for Halloween and it's fits my vibes, ha.

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Ok. After my second listen I picked up on some clunkers. “Pizza to myself” “tequila shots at noon” etc.

Definitely says phone a lot. Overall though this is a very fun alt rock album. They played around enough with their proggy side on the other albums. I quite enjoy this.

Also yes 111 Winchester is an early standout.

18. SpyKi Oct 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 23, 2017)
    SpyKi

I think there's may be some lyric about a phone or a call in every song.

19. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Just echoing other people's thoughts at this point, but Connector is by far their best. I'm still super excited about the show next week but I'm underwhelmed by this album overall. I love Degenerates, Where the Mind Wants to Go, Symphony of Skin, Silver Tongues, and Where You Let It Go but the rest I find myself skipping.

20. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I’ve listened to this album a few more times since my last post and musicially- there’s some really good tracks.

That’s all I got.

Lyrics still suck for the most part lol.

BigMouth and Transient_Hymn like this.
  21. austingordon

your local curmudgeon

I either really enjoy or love every song on this record, except for Escapism. That song is white hot garbage. Come on, guys. It was like they were trying to be blink-182

22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

That’s hella funny to me cause that’s one of the only songs I actually enjoy as a whole on the record. Musicially, it’s pretty great and lyrically it ain’t that great but it’s less cringey (despite that pizza line hah) than most of the other songs.

23. zsoty27

"I am the patron saint of lost causes"

So am I seeing it right, that the record didn't chart on Billboard 200? It means, it sucked at the record sales right? If it's the case that's very unfortunate, I really like this album. I thought it would sell well.

24. atlas

Trusted

Bands don't really chart on the Billboard 200 anymore since streaming started counting towards sales

25. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they charted at #61.