Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

I saw them before they were popular Tour • Page 7

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Windowsdown

Basement played to six/seven people in Paris on their first Mainland Europe tour (they were already quite big everywhere else but as you might have heard, Europe - minus the UK - is 2/3 years behind on everything), and it was sooooo weird knowing all the lyrics and being one of the few people there. Everyone else was smoking / drinking outside of the venue...

The next time they came to town, they were headlining and the show was sold out.

Yourbiggestflan likes this.
  2. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

I went to Coachella in 2012 and I am continually bummed looking at the people playing it that I was not aware of at the time. That being said I saw so much music that I probably would have had a hard time picking regardless.

3. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Played with Set It off in 2011, they drew like 20 people. Singer was one of the nicest people I've met through music.
    Played with Touché amore title fight and the mensongers in 2011, right before Menz blew up.
    Saw G Eazy at warped tour in 2012 on a side stage, thought he was the corniest rapper ever. Never thought he'd blow up.
    Saw Katy Perry at WT 08, Paramore at WT 07 (or 06? The year they were on that tiny women only stage).
    Played with state champs in 2012 twice, both times they drew maybe 15 people, went to some bars with em, very nice boys
    TFB in 2011 with Say anything, Fake Problems and Kevin Devine- maybe 30 people in the crowd for TFB. Think there was under 150 for say anything, very poorly attended show.

4. red8ge

Regular

i saw the beatles play at the cavern club in 1961

5. SEMUSIC

I saw Skillet play a high school auditorium in central Pennsylvania in 2007, it was my first concert actually, one of the guys in charge of the youth group kept trying to get me to do stuff with them and I was bored enough and figured I'd say yes, the album he gave me of theirs wasn't too bad now they're huge, the next time they came to the area they played an arena.

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My nephew’s dad saw Nirvana in the late 80s and I don’t know why but it always blew my mind.

7. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

According to one of my best friends, his dad saw Primus sometime in the 80’s before they blew up. Don’t remember where/when, but it was before the Suck On This and Frizzle Fry era

8. I saw Anatomy of a Ghost at a super tiny venue. Lead singer went on to be Portugal The Man.

serotonin likes this.
  9. mad

I was right. Prestigious

on the subject of dad brags, mine saw U2 and RHCP before they made it big

10. tshreve

Metalicca

Very jealous, that band was so good

bradsonemanband likes this.
  11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I saw the Gaslight Anthem open up the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' Hometown Throwdown in 2007. Nobody cared... Except for me and one other guy in the room who yelled "PLAY A SONG ABOUT DRIVING!" between songs a few times.

I also saw My Chemical Romance quite a few times in 2002-2003 including a tour where they opened for Midtown and Recover, as well as that Finch/the Used co-headliner with the Movielife.

I also caught Saves the Day in January or February of 2000 opening for Hot Water Music.

K0ta likes this.
  12. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Yep - My Chem played first and only had their first record (I Brought You My Bullets...) out for about eight months at the time. Three Cheers didn't come out for another year and a half (July 2004, the tour was Jan/Feb 2003).

Setlist.fm says this is what they played:
    1. Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough for the Two of Us
    2. Our Lady of Sorrows
    3. Headfirst for Halos
    4. This Is the Best Day Ever
    5. Cubicles
    6. Skylines and Turnstiles
    7. Vampires Will Never Hurt You

alkalinexandy likes this.
  13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, I had Bullets in high school, before Three Cheers was ever released. But I must have gotten it after this show because I have no recollection of MCR being on that tour and I remember that show well. Must have gotten there late.

14. serotonin

This is probably a common one, but I saw fun. open up for Manchester Orchestra to about 300 people right after Aim and Ignite came out. For me, I already considered them a supergroup since I was a huge fan of Anathallo, Steel Train, and The Format, but obviously not close to the fanbase they would gain when Some Nights came out.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  15. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I saw this video shared on Reddit this morning, thought this thread would appreciate it. Mumford and Sons performing The Cave at SXSW 2009 outside a pizza shop playing to a sitting audience and unassuming passer-bys. Cool to see how they blew up like that.

ItsAndrew, stars143 and serotonin like this.
  16. ghostxvapor

Trusted

I saw a similar show in Philly. Biffy Clyro played as well

serotonin likes this.
  17. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

The only one that'd be relevant here that comes to mind is I saw Gaslight Anthem play a deli in Virginia Beach a few months after '59 Sound came out. I believe there were about 100 people there for that one:

The Gaslight Anthem Setlist at The Jewish Mother, Virginia Beach

Still my favorite Gaslight setlist of all the times I've seen them.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  18. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

So awesome. Craziest part is just a few months later they were playing Glastonbury and these massive festivals in the UK. I saw them about a year later at Chain Reaction in Anaheim (a show that I completely forgot Frank Turner opened along with The Loved Ones & Murder By Death). No setlist for that one, but the night before was this.

The Gaslight Anthem Setlist at Music Box at the Fonda, Los Angeles

19. serotonin

Saw them open for Rise Against, Thrice, and Alkaline Trio in 2008. I still have a hard time believing that was a concert I went to. It was so good.

20. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

aw dang i forgot, i saw fun. and steel train play together in 2010. the crowd was pretty big, but definitely smaller than when they exploded for some nights. that remains one of my favorite shows.

serotonin likes this.
  21. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

i saw them on that tour as well! such a good show. ditto on the supergroup thing, that's how I thought of them from the beginning (there was an article or press blurb about them that sorta framed it as such iirc?). i remember liking their set thae night i was there a LOT more than Manchester's actually :teethsmile:

serotonin likes this.
  22. serotonin

Weird, I distinctly remember not being that into Manchester's set too. It was my third time seeing them, I believe. Loved every other set though. I am hitting twelve shows in December (plus two Bad Books sets.)

23. mercury

nice coincidence -- pretty sure it was also my third manchester show! yeah, I've been to quite a few of their shows myself & am very much a fan.. that wasn't a dig at their playing in general!! especially nowadays, their sets are crazy... but i just remember fun showing them up like crazy that night. the friend i dragged along to drive me agreed too, & had never listened to either before lol

super jealous of bad books.. i was supposed to see their first tour but ended up getting scheduled for work that night. fingers crossed for III and another tour!

serotonin likes this.
  24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

What year was the MO/Fun tour? I saw MO in 2009 and in 2010 (among many other times past that), but I don't think I went inside before they went on, so it's possible fun. was on the billing and I didn't care. I saw fun. open up for PATD in 2011 at a HOB show. I made sure to go in early to see them at that point.

25. mercury

spring 2009-ish i think?