Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

I Made You a Mixtape

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 31, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Federico Viticci, writing for MacStories, on his history with mixtapes:

This went on for months. Listening to Luca’s CDs became a habit for me. I would listen as I perused his handwritten tracklists in the back of the CD covers. My mom would even ask me to “play Luca’s music”. I loaned a few of Luca’s CDs to my classmates. I believe that Luca kept doing it for a simple reason: he was (still is) a good friend and he thought it was cool that he could download music for free and burn an extra CD for me. Talking about new songs and old gems he included in his mixes was an excuse to catch a break between classes – no texting, no selfies, just two friends discussing songs on a mixtape.

Take the time to read this today.

2. CheapPop

Regular

This was a great write up. I use to exchange mix CDs with my friends all the time in middle school. That's how I found out about some of my favorite bands/artists.

Discover Weekly definitely bring back a similar feeling to the old mixtape. And it does a pretty damn good job.

3. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

That was a nice read. I've actually never been a fan of mix tapes and playlists and the like. All my discovery back in the day was MySpace searches and lime wire downloads. These days it's mostly checking out the video/song posts from random bands posted about on ap/chorus.

4. Kevin

Bada Boom

And you can't teach that! How you doin'?!

5. edisnfg

"I'd Kill To Fall Asleep"

Nice Enzo quote!!!

6. This was a really good read. Never used the Discover Weekly cause I find most of my new artists on this site and I use Apple Music

7. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

it's funny because I was the one who made mix tapes for everyone. I was the only one who knew how to burn CDs and I flaunted that skill like no tomorrow. I felt so cool. I haven't used discover weekly yet but now I want to.

morken likes this.
  8. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I used to burn my own mix cds and add in my own personalized intro recording to every one. My friends all got a kick out of it.

Miss those days.

Get off your phone.

And into my head.

9. morken Jun 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 1, 2016)
    morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

I was also that guy, providing my friends with the best of early 2000's pop punk and post hardcore - getting them hooked on yellowcard, blink, less than jake, home grown, NFG, saosin, thrice, the used, finch.. The list goes on. 15 years later and I'm sending friends playlists and albums on Spotify instead. So I'm kinda doing the same thing - just in a more legal way, I guess..

supernovagirl likes this.
  10. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

This was a cool article. I used to LOVE making mix CDs for people. I would write up a whole thing for it. Each track had notes that went with it and I'd be like, "Listen to the scream at 1:38," or whatever. I don't think any of my friends appreciated those CDs as much as I enjoyed making them.

supernovagirl likes this.
  11. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Yeah I mean I feel guilty now but this was elementary school so I definitely was not thinking of the legality or morality of it!! And since it was so young I definitely wasn't putting as cool of music on mine hahaha

12. CheapPop

Regular

BADA BOOM, REALEST GUYS ON THE ROOM