Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

I Love You, Daddy (Louis C.K., November 17th, 2017) Movie • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Oct 6, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

drip drip

3. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Is it fucked up if I still want to watch this? I feel kind of badly but I'm still a fan of his work and I was looking forward to this movie for a long time before the shit hit the fan

I can't figure out if I should just pretend it never existed, because what if I end up loving it? I definitely won't pay to watch it, that's for sure

suicidesaints likes this.
  4. jjnunn118 Dec 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 11, 2017)
    jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I feel like if this was just a normal movie I could understand someone trying to separate the art from the artist and enjoy the movie.

But this is different. If I remember what I read correctly this is a movie that mocked the idea of his allegations by having a character pretend to masterbate in front of people. It also features a main story line about an esteemed filmmaker preying on a underage girl and, from what I heard, doesn't condemn that notion.

It was always gonna be a disgusting, problematic film. Now it's made even more so by recent events.

5. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'm still pretty curious to see it, but the plot of the film is pretty greasy in hindsight.

6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Very different situation but this movie reminds me how Mel Gibson’s Passion of the Christ was released at the height of his antisemitism denial. Kinda just punctuates the whole thing, if that makes sense. If you do end up seeing it, pls feel encouraged to post your reaction here

7. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I'm still interested in seeing this. Hopefully later this week

8. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I thought their review of it was interesting:

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  9. Morrissey

Trusted

It is not much of a surprise that this is great; over the last decade Louis C.K. has been gradually working toward a film like this. It is a morally complex film, one that finds a way to criticize everyone involved and how post-wealth safety and security leads to depravity. The obvious allusions are to Woody Allen and Manhattan, but there is a very similar structure to Jean-Luc Godard's Contempt. In Contempt, the main character Paul lets his boss Prokosch leer and pursue his wife in order to pursue a lucrative job, only to lose both. Similarly, in this film Louis C.K.'s character is well aware of the much older director's history and that he is pursuing his daughter, but he does nothing about it other than whine to his friends and colleagues while letting her go to Paris with him. His desire to be accepted by his idol, his weakness as a father, and his sensitivity to upsetting a potential job opportunity makes him go along with this. We all go through moments where we sacrifice our ideals for gain, but here the situation is obviously much more complex. After being such a pushover her whole life, can he really stop her? She is turning 18 in less than a month. He knows that trying to step in may push her in closer, but rather than picking a position he chooses to try and have it both ways. He has little moral standing as an example for his daughter; he is divorced under questionable circumstances and is using his power to sleep with a much younger actress who wants a part in his newest project. For some reason, that character is already pregnant but other than a few people pointing it out it has nothing to do with the film.

The film ultimately is ambiguous about the morality of the older man's pursuit of the teenager; it is not consummated and it is because she realizes she never actually wanted it. The film ends up punishing C.K. the most, while Malkovich receives even more success. He does find some sense of redemption, but the ultimate message is muddy after bringing up such a provocative topic. The film wanted to be timely and to spark discussions, but ultimately it does not really get to the heart of it. However, even with that failing it is a firmly adult work, with real characters and interesting questions.

suicidesaints and tdlyon like this.
  10. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I watched this tonight. For the most part, yeah, it sucked.

45% of it is boring melodrama focused around these really unlikable characters, and another 45% of it is smarmy and gross - either by having these outright disgusting opinions about when someone is old enough to consent to sex, or trying to have these middle ground conversations about it where they try to have their cake and eat it too. There's a scene where Rose Byrne's character does this with Glenn (Louis CK) and it's one of the most detestable scenes in a movie I've ever had to sit through.

With that, there was about 10% of it I found enjoyable - the stuff with Edie Falco and Pamela Adlon is reliably funny, Charlie Day has a couple moments (one that made me laugh HARD) and I like the conversation that Glenn and China (Chloe Grace Moretz) have at the end when she realizes she doesn't have her life together, caused by the fact that her dad enabled her to live that way - and the ultimate ending of her getting a job and figuring her life out in the mean time was well handled. But by that point, it's too late to salvage the damage that's done.

But yeah, this movie is bad. I don't regret having watched it because I didn't give Louis any money and I'll never have to ~wonder~ what it's like anymore. However, I'd never recommend anyone see it, nor would I ever watch it again.

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Gross movie by gross man is gross.