Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore (Macon Blair; 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Jan 19, 2017.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Directorial debut for Macon Blair (Blue Ruin, Green Room). Premiering at Sundance tonight, but hitting Netflix on February 24th.

2. Seeing this tonight! Updates later!

CarpetElf likes this.
  3. This was SO great! I loved everything about it. Very solid film.

Writer/director Macon Blair did a Q&A afterwards and he seems like such a cool down to earth guy. Also, he looks like an entirely different person with long hair and a beard, haha.

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

On Netflix now. Excited to check this out soon.

5. This was pretty good. Melanie Lynskey was great as always.

6. why isn't more people talking about this movie?!

this movie RULES

7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

This was brilliant.

I read it was directed by Macon Blair beforehand, and knew I recognized the name but I couldn't place it. Then, watching the bar scene, I thought how cool it was that the dude from Blue Ruin and Green Room was making an appearance.

A little while later, I was thinking to myself how cool it was that this movie was showing bits of character in the way it included the little things not normally depicted in screen, similar to Blue Ruin. That was when it hit me that Macon Blair is the name of that actor, and from there, I could see the influence those two films have had on him - in the best way possible.

I really liked Blue Ruin, and I'd say this tops it. I might have even enjoyed myself more with this one than Green Room. Every comedic beat hit, I jumped up in shock multiple times and no plot point felt contrived, which can happen with these sort of "Every day person stumbles into a mess of crime" movies.

I love the idea the movie seemed to have, saying that the world doesn't revolve around you, or anyone else, but still highlighting the little things that make each person worth looking at. The characterization was so strong here.

You're right, @bradsonemanband I have no idea why this isn't being talked about more, at least on here. I first heard about it when it won that big award at Sundance, and have had interest in it since then. When I went to Netflix to watch it today, it was being featured at the top of the home page, so hopefully it picks up some steam, if it hasn't already. This deserves all the praise the Green Room got, at least. It wasn't as gritty, but it was definitely as engaging.

coleslawed and bradsonemanband like this.
  8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I'm pretty out of it but I have no idea what to make of this. It feels like three movies mashed into one. It's ridiculous. It's all over the place. I'm pretty sure a lot of it is actually terrible but I absolutely loved it at the same time.

9. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Better than Blue Ruin, and maybe even Green Room? Gotta watch this now.

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think this was as good as Blue Ruin or Green Room, but it was still super dope.

11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

this was great.
    I don't even know what genre to call this, but I think it's my favorite.