Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hyperpartisan Facebook Pages Are Publishing False and Misleading Information • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I genuinely wouldn't care either way haha, I'm more talking my personal preference over genuine philosophical belief

2. Fucking Dustin

Not trusting an article about fact checking

I'm not criticizing you I'm just saying there's a good joke there and I'm trying to think of it

stuckinvhs likes this.
  3. jellyfishfossil

Regular

My response wasn't to fact-checking. It was to people who are in favor of Facebook blocking anything that they see as "inaccurate".

4. Fucking Dustin

The biggest thing to factor is really, what criteria does this involve? There could be great articles with just one sliver of inaccurate information that gets classified in the inaccurate column.

I don't know what my stance on it is really. Facebook has the right to share inaccurate stuff just as much as they have the right to keep inaccurate stuff from being shared. (And I'd of course prefer the latter) I'm just curious about what the criteria for deciding what is and isn't accurate has been.

5. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

damn this guy is really thick

6. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

It's one thing that Facebook would post fake news but it's their users. And let's all be honest the only reason this article was posted here is because it said more right wing sites in the study post stuff that is deemed false or inaccurate.

7. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

At the end of the days most this stuff posted are half truths as opposed to complete lies.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

no.

9. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Yes, cause this site doesn't have a history of posting news stories about Facebook pushing false information...

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. :crylaugh:

What the....

11. Their news and long form writing have been as good as any over the past year or so. Really good stuff coming from Buzzfeed News.

12. Mims:
    I once wrote a column arguing Facebook probably hasn’t led to more partisanship. I now think that’s completely wrong.

I now think Facebook is contributing to the decline of western civilization. By helping spread misinformation.

We replaced civil society w/ self-selecting, self-reinforcing loops of affinity feeding our brains w/ social validation of dangerous untruth.

Mr. Serotonin and Brenden like this.
  13. No, I posted it because I think the feedback loop social media has created is important to study, on all sides, especially when the vast majority of news is now being served to people by a social network like Facebook and organizations that have zero standards, or knowingly publish false information, are on the same footing as institutions long known for having quality standards about what they post. That false, patently false, stories and articles can spread, and go viral, with such ease is going to have an impact on our society. Studies show that once someone gets an idea in their head, even being presented with the facts, they will often become more intrenched in the false story and view. The hyper-partisianship is what I have an issue with, not what % was wrong from what "side." And I believe Facebook has the wrong approach in how they handle news on their site. From censoring certain things, to their clearly flawed algorithms.

The internet has changed the dissemination of information - forever. Facebook is at the core of that change. If we want to make sure we have 1) an informed populace, 2) a working fifth estate — this matters, a lot.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  14. ‘It will be a bloodbath’: Inside the Kansas militia plot to ignite a religious war

Just one of many reasons, but a recent example, of why I think it matters.

15. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I don't have anything to contribute at the moment but I do find this discussion/topic fascinating. A lot does need to be examined and unpacked. It's all brand new territory for us though so of course it needs to be studied.

16. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

If people can't see an issue with subjecting people to biased news and particularly bias written from one perspective and how that differs from censorship then "they" won.

We've seen in England with Brexit how people's attitudes are radically affected by what Rupert Murdochs toilet rags disseminating their half truths.

We're seeing it in America with how Trump is running for President.

For me the issue is that we lack unbiased and fact checked media in the western world. If we have Facebook the. Selectively disseminating that information you are only going to push people to further extremities in their beliefs.

The world needs more state supported but independently regulated news outlets. Not for the purpose of censorship but to fact check articles and not allow clearly false ones being published. Asking for more objectivity doesn't necessarily mean censorship.

Fucking Dustin likes this.