Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Husker Du Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by EmmanuelSCastle, Oct 19, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Taken From Wikipedia:
    Hüsker Dü was an American rock band formed in Saint Paul, Minnesota in 1979. The band's continual members were guitarist/vocalist Bob Mould, bassist Greg Norton, and drummer/vocalist Grant Hart.

Hüsker Dü first gained notability as a hardcore punk band, later crossing over into alternative rock. Mould and Hart split the songwriting and singing duties.

Following an EP and three LPs on independent label SST Records, including the critically acclaimed Zen Arcade (1984), the band signed to Warner Bros. Records in 1986 to release their final two studio albums.

Probably wouldn't have had alt rock in the way you know it without these guys, probably has done almost as much for emo as Rites Of Spring, and influence can't be understated in noise rock or posthardcore either. Saw there wasn't a thread for them and I've been listening to Zen Arcade the last few weeks or months or however long it's been since reading about them in Our Band Could Be Your Life.

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

cool band

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm not currently super invested in them emotionally or anything, but I like listening to Zen Arcade and peeling back the song layers and being like "oh, so that's why so many bands do x." From a purely historical standpoint, it's a really cool artifact while from a music standpoint, I can still think it's fuckin sick and enjoy what I'm hearing a lot. It really sounds like a crossroads in a lot of different ways, I like that.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

5. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I was trying to remember my first Husker Du listen...... its a tough one. Was it Warehouse... or was it Zen Arcade?

I remember Warehouse.... 1987... mowing my parents lawn, as a senior in high school, with my cassette walkman on, listening to this cassette. Without looking at the wiki on it, I remember Charity, Chastity first. The whole tape wsa wonderful.... and colorful... and, for me, a new direction in music.

Zen Arcade, Flip Your Wig.... Candy apple grey..... Wonderful music.... wonderful.

I never saw them in concert, though a friend of mine says I was with him to see Sugar (or Bob Mould) at the Paradise in Boston. I cannot remember that though.

I know I must have a Husker CD somewhere... Ill find it today.

6. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

this is a tough day for us here in the twin cities

I always thought it was amazing that we actually had a band as influential and amazing as Hüsker come from my city, St. Paul, rather than our cooler sister from across the river Minneapolis

Bob Mould and Grant Hart met at the record store I go to almost every week

I'm glad that it seems like Mould and Hart were on better terms as of recent years

but fuckkkkkkkkkkkk one of the greatest ever I don't even know where to begin with his songwriting, he and Bob were perfect foils

tough day.

Contender and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Saw that this morning and it didn't register at first. Surreal and sad, Grant Hart is younger than a lot of people in music I admire and are still going. Echoing whoever said they were glad him and Bob seemed to be on better terms these days

Aregala likes this.
  8. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

What happenned to Greg Norton?

I was going to ask that, then I wiki'ed it.... I thought I remembered something about leaving the music area, and being a bartender.. I was close.

(from wiki)

After Hüsker Dü disbanded in 1988, Norton formed the band Grey Area with Hüsker Dü engineer Colin Mansfield and Jo Jones. After Grey Area disbanded in 1991, Norton left the music business to focus on the restaurant business, opening The Norton's Restaurant (now closed) in Red Wing, Minnesota. Norton returned to the recording industry in 2006, with a new band Gang Font feat. Interloper.[3] The group is composed of Norton, Dave King (of The Bad Plus, Happy Apple, Halloween, Alaska, 12 Rodsand the Love-Cars), Eric Fratzke of Zebulon Pike and Happy Apple, and Craig Taborn. He is known for his large handlebar moustache. In 2016 Greg joined La Crosse, WI band Porcupine as their bass player to replace Davey Reinders.[4]

9. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Porcupine, apparently, is touring with the Meat Puppets.

Nice.

10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

one of the GOATs. zen arcade is so so important.

11. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Zen Arcade crushes it. I havent thought of Bob Mould in ages, but when Sugar came out, I was happy. Its been a long time going back to that.

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

he hasn’t released a bad album in a very long time. check out his solo album from last year