Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hundredth - Rare (June 16, 2017) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by indecipherable, Jun 17, 2017.

1. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

Hardcore band goes shoegaze.
    [​IMG]

RIYL: The later albums from Balance and Composure, Citizen, Turnover, Title Fight, Nothing

2. cherrywaves

Trusted

I'd be more interested in this if it wasn't such blatant pandering to RFC Records crowd. They're not even trying to be subtle here

3. indecipherable

Who tf cares the music's good.

4. It's such a departure from their earlier stuff but I like what I've heard so far.

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i gave it a chance because the hype was interesting and what i heard of this was very bad

6. indecipherable

Reviews have been pretty positive so far idk

7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i listened because stereogum put it so high

seemed like what i would expect for a hardcore band going the punk dreampop fad going on right now

8. atlas

Trusted

I liked it. Was never enamored with them as a hardcore band and they do this sound well enough

9. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

was curious why there wasn't a thread. i enjoyed a few songs on my initial listen.

10. I just listened to this and I liked it. Nothing ground breaking but they did it well.

Awksome likes this.
  11. flask

Trusted Supporter

I was overly cynical about it when I heard the first single and saw the colorful artwork but then the singer just straight up said "this is what we're doing from now on" and I kind of admired that. Overall I like it. Reminds me of some of the faster songs I'm Guilty of Everything.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I've been a Hundredth fan since the Let Go days and I admire the risks they took with this record. It'll be interesting to see the vibe at their shows from now on.

13. flask

Trusted Supporter

Did you read this interview?
    Hundredth Throw Their Metalcore Past Into a 'Hole'

I've never enjoyed their music until this album, but I know a lot of long time fans took offense to him basically disavowing all their previous material. He also mentions they're only playing stuff off Rare from here on out.

beachdude42 likes this.
  14. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Decided on a whim to check this album out after barely ever listening to Hundredth before. I'm really enjoying it! I think they pull off such a huge sound change really well.

15. DannyZach

Trusted

It's just so good

16. johnnyferris

I love his honesty in this interview and it makes me wonder of the thought processes his peers in these whatever core bands are having right now. Yes, I have been a fan of the band for a long time, but my tastes have changed along the way so I really don't see it as an issue for me. They have three full length records and two EPs with that sound and if that's not enough to satisfy someone I don't know what is.

Looks like Chadwick is this week's guest on Shane Told's Lead Singer Syndrome podcast. I would love to hear him really dive into it.

awakeohsleeper and beachdude42 like this.
  17. I love this album

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I had never listened to this band before this record, which is fantastic. From what I'm reading, looks like it's not even worth listening to the rest?

19. johnnyferris

Do you like hardcore?

20. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Some. What's there old stuff as far as RIYL?

21. johnnyferris

They were pretty good at doing the melodic hardcore from the 2010s. They toured a lot with bands like The Ghost Inside, Counterparts, No Bragging Rights, STYG.

I recommend you check out Let Go and the Resist EP. Those two releases probably have the best bits of their old sound.

truelovewaits likes this.
  22. flask

Trusted Supporter

I saw them open for Defeater I think around 2010/2011? Wasn't into it at all. Not my style of metalcore. So I find this album a pleasant surprise.

23. johnnyferris

That was an August 2011 tour if I'm not mistaken. I wished they at least kept touring with bands like Defeater. Them opening for ETID was the only other show I've seen them out of their usual demographic

24. I like their hardcore albums. Free is the one I listen to the most.

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Had no idea they had completely changed their sound until I saw this thread yesterday. I'll definitely check this out now - never really got into them before.