Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hundredth – “Youth”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 12, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Not to sound like a hater, but I feel like this band, and most specifically their lead singer, is just all about trends. Jumping on or looking like whatever is popular at the time. They've had some tracks here and there I liked...but really, they feel like one big scene gimmick every time I come back.

3. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah musically this is tight but this vocalist can't keep up. He sounds so boring. I dug the other song they first released though.

4. I love this. I generally agree with you @mattylikesfilms but I think the singer was solid enough to make the dichotomy in moods work.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Maybe I'll like the rest of the record? I did enjoy "Neurotic" so maybe this is a one off for me?

6. Honestly, I'm brand new to the band. I only listened because one of my good friends is a big fan. But I just sampled Free and it sounded super solid. Do you have any reco's from the band's discography?

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Free is really good. I love "Unravel", "See Beyond", and "Burdens" off that. The Resist EP is realllly good in my opinion. I would check that out! "Shelter" is a jam and a half.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  8. I appreciate it!

9. atlas

Trusted

As someone who found their earlier stuff to be kind of pedestrian hardcore, I really like the 2 songs they've put out from this. This one especially.

10. xthisislove

Regular

Of course he is, I've meet the dude on several levels and he's a walking contradiction. They used to put up "you must be strictly devoted to god"(when that was the cool thing) ads on lambgoat when they lost members, he was vegan for a summer, now he's atheist.He's just a cocky dude that follows trends that are hip! Not to mention he's tried to sue any bands that have keys on their shirts now because they have it on theirs.

11. bloodinthesand

Regular

Holy Shit! What an incredible change in style. This is going to be huge!!! Great work! I love the change

12. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

This just got me on board with this band. Wow.

13. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

I'm really diggin' their new sound.

14. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Of course you are! It's carved out of the asses of the other 15 bands that released this album the past 3 years.

15. atlas

Trusted

Love when people are completely unnecessarily aggressive towards others just for liking music

nl5011, coleslawed and SamLevi11 like this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Shut up, how dare you have an opinion that doesn't totally align with my own!

Also this is good, love the new sound. Very Citizen-esque.

17. cherrywaves

Trusted

Damn I hope some of the royalties from this are going to Citizen/Turnover/TF/etc

carrytheweight likes this.
  18. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Did my message offend you? I love it when somebody voices an opposing opinion and because it's not the same as the majority, a handful grab their condescending passive aggressive pitchforks.

19. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

My point exactly.

20. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

sounds good, though it does copy the bands mentioned here, and I'm not sure why did they stick with this kind of drum production, where it still sounds like some post hc beats on top of that.

21. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I'm curious how the standard hardcore fans will react to this stylistic change. I respect them for going with an ambitious sound and trying to grow in different music pockets. They've probably gotten burnt out on doing the same type of tours and shows. You can envision them touring with Turnover, Pianos, Balance, and Frank Carter. I support it. It's not my favorite song or style but I definitely understand it.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. red8ge

Regular

don't think they're jacking contemporaries at all, i think all the bands are being inspired by the same core group of bands, and the way it influences their old sound comes out in similar ways.

that said i've heard the record and i'd say it's a lot better than bands that have made a similar stylistic change. they know how to balance shoegaze's moodiness with genuine exuberance and other parts. old fans will probably hate it, though some of their songs do have elements of hardcore (breakdowns, drumming etc)

coleslawed likes this.
  23. Muzick

Say what you will about the lead singer or their direction, but HOLY SHIT whoever engineered this song... did a killer job. The engineering and mixing really dong it for me with this song.