Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How Travis Barker Became Gen-Z’s Pop-Punk Whisperer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rolling Stone sat down with Travis Barker of Blink-182 to talk about, well, everything:

He’s hopeful — not for the first time in his career — that he can help serve as a bridge to a wider world of rock. “Some of Jaden’s fans are like, ‘Whoa, Jaden invented a genre of music!’ So funny, but however they’re introduced to it, I’m fine with it,” Barker says. “Because I think even Blink was that. You know, a lot of kids discover Blink and then go back and discover the Descendents and Bad Religion and the Buzzcocks. So if kids listen to MGK and Jxdn and then discover these other bands, I mess with that. That’s cool.”

And, Blink updates:

While Barker’s other work continues to pick up speed, he’s eager to carry on with Blink-182. The band, which last released an album in 2019, recorded several songs with outside musicians — Grimes, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Tracy — but he’s not sure just yet how they’ll come out. He’s in regular touch with Blink singer Mark Hoppus. (Hoppus revealed that he’s undergoing chemotherapy for cancer several weeks after Barker spoke with Rolling Stone.) “I just spent the day with Mark a week ago,” says Barker. “Yesterday he was like, ‘Dude, congratulations. I’m so happy for you.’”

As of late May, Barker’s plan was to spend time next year recording a full new Blink album sans collaborators, and then head out a world tour. “I think that’s going to happen more in 2022,” Barker says.”I have so many [other] things I’m obligated to do this year. I want to spend the right amount of time on the Blink album and make sure it’s one of the best pieces of work we’ve ever done…. It will be my priority. It will be the only thing I’m working o

What about a Tom DeLonge reunion?

Could a reunion happen? “Never say never,” Barker says. “I talk to Tom all the time. We send funny texts and stuff. The times of bad blood and the misunderstandings between us are so over with. It’s all love. We all three talk, and we’re all friends. So, yeah, I will never say never. I think if the time was right and it just made sense…”

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

thisisasong likes this.
  2. musicguy87 Jun 30, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 2, 2021)
    musicguy87

Good to hear he’s not short-changin blink and when the time is right, he’ll be focused in on the new album 100%.

I’m also loving his other projects. Kennyhoopla’s new EP “Survivor’s Guilt” has been on repeat since it dropped. The drums sound amazing on it. Kudos to travis & all of those involved with the project!

3. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

That part about fans of new artist’s music thinking the artist created it when it’s all a blend of influences from the past put together in a new sound, and how Blink was part of that too even if they’re looked at as the pop punk forefathers. Really hit the nail on the head. And having an open minded titan of the scene shepherding the new wave in is extra special and cool.

I have my favorites from yesteryear and I can have those hipster “I liked it before it was cool” tendencies, but I try to step back and realize exposure of the masses to a wider range of music is a good thing overall.

4. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Tom looks like he might want to be there.

Oskarr, beachdude, Ryan and 5 others like this.
  5. Tata Toothy

Regular

Tom’s definitely coming back at some point as a full time member.
    The only way Tom doesn’t come back is if the band breaks up which is highly unlikely.

6. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

It makes sense why blink (tom) broke up. So much stuff in ones personal life can effect ones work life. And when you're younger you don't know how to juggle it. Tom clearly had personal stuff going on just like how Mark currently has personal stuff going on, just like how Travis had some stuff going on. We don't know the behind the scenes, but life is a sht show for everyone. Now that theyre older they know that and now can be more open about it to each other and in Marks case, to us as well.

Ellamamama likes this.
  7. Ellamamama

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

Or, heaven forbid, the worst happens to Mark obviously.

8. Zachary Dresch

Trusted Supporter

The most perfect situation in my eyes would be for Mark to fully recover and have Tom rejoin, if and only if, they've sorted out all their differences and they have the ability to create from a happy place where they're collaborating in a healthy manner. I wonder if they'd keep Skiba or if he'd step aside if Tom came back.

beachdude, soggytime and Daniel182 like this.
  9. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

This is the dream scenario. I think Skiba would have to leave.

10. Zachary Dresch

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, and honestly Skiba would be fine since he has his own legendary following with the Trio. While they're not on the same scale of huge as Blink, they're still a huge band in their own right. I think Dan and Derek would want him back too haha.

beachdude and Daniel182 like this.
  11. MacbethSin

Regular

What happens to the Skiba-era music in that case? I really can't imagine Tom doing it, but coming up on 3 albums now, that's not nothing to just ditch from the sets forever.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  12. Daniel182

It probably wouldn’t be played live. Similar to what Van Halen or The Misfits have done.

Fox83 and alkalinexandy like this.
  13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I have to imagine that they probably want to put their friendship with Tom over making music together and potentially clashing creatively.

thisisasong likes this.
  14. Daniel182

There’s still a chance friendship is all that happens, and that’s still a great thing.

blink180ryan, beachdude and Zilla like this.
  15. GSDubs

Idk about everyone else but I’d love blink with dual guitars. Don’t know all that much from the skiba era but I’d love to hear how it sounds as a 4 piece. Great to hear they are all on good terms, friendship should always come before business.

16. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Blink as a four piece would be super fucking fun.

Just imagine the beefy riffs. Let Tom sing only the choruses live. Mark does verses, Matt and Mark do screams and bridges.

Holy shit, I think I LOVE this?

17. it’d be better if he’d stop associating with people like MGK and XXXtentacion.

18. Daniel182

I don’t think he associates much with XXX these days

19. skaorsk8

It would be better if he stopped associating with people who are named Kardashian or Jenner!

CMilliken, fredwordsmith and SFguitar like this.
  20. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

I think it's pretty unanimous if fans had a choice of Blink songs they'd mostly be from before those albums. As far as playing them on tour, they wouldn't play more than 3-5 and Tom could easily pick it up. Might actually be cool. Blink 182 is fine with Skeeba but to a lot of us it doesn't feel like Blink.

CMilliken likes this.
  21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

If Tom came back Skiba would leave and they would play zero of those songs. People on this site would miss them live but I don't think general audiences would

22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

On topic though, I'm actually really liking what Travis is doing with all these kids. This sound coming back is so cool to me

The song he did with Willow Smith is really cool too

23. Pretty confidently can say this isn’t what would happen.

24. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

upload_2021-7-1_11-36-24.gif

dtbjerke likes this.
  25. Fox83

Trusted

To be fair, Hagar sang some Roth songs, and Cherone sang the whole catalog (briefly). David Lee Roth just couldn't hit the same notes as Hagar.

Skiba doesn't have a unique vocal range or anything, so I could see Tom singing a few singles from that era. Hell, if Tom didn't want to sing Matt's parts, Mark could sing both parts if they really wanted to play Bored To Death or whatever. I remember people complaining that they couldn't differentiate Matt and Mark's vocals on that song anyway. Lol

Woohoo! likes this.