Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How to Safely Enjoy the 2017 Solar Eclipse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jason Kottke has put together a buyer’s guide for tools to safely enjoy the upcoming solar eclipse:

On August 21, 2017 across the entire United States, the Moon will move in front of the Sun, partially blocking it from our view. For those on the path of totality, the Moon will entirely block out the Sun for more than 2 minutes. I’ve been looking forward to seeing a total solar eclipse since I was a little kid, so I’ve been doing a lot of research on what to buy to enjoy the eclipse safely. Here’s what I’ve come up with.

I’ve oriented this guide toward the enthusiastic beginner, someone who’s excited about experiencing the wonder of the eclipse with their friends & family but isn’t interested in expensive specialty gear or photography (like me!). And, again, since you will be able to see this eclipse from everywhere in North America to some degree, this guide applies to anyone in the US/Canada/Mexico.

Raku likes this.
  2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

How did I just now find out about this. This is interesting.

Raku likes this.
  3. MrAirplane

Trusted

didn't even know this was happening but i'm super pumped. 8 hours away from the total eclipse zone but may do the drive

Raku likes this.
  4. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Been very excited about this happening. Just gotta hope for clear skies!

Raku likes this.
  5. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

My hometown is directly in the prime viewing line, last I heard they were expecting around 50,000 visitors in town for the eclipse

Raku and MrAirplane like this.
  6. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Funny you said that. I was just visiting my aunt in Oregon and their town is also in the prime viewing line. They're expecting over 100,000 people to visit, and their town's population is about 100. She's been getting offers from different astronomy groups overseas wanting to rent out her property for a couple days. Some of her neighbors have already agreed to do the same and have made thousands of dollars in an airBnB type thing.