Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How Spammers, Superstars, and Tech Giants Gamed the Music Industry

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Adam K. Raymond, writing for Vulture:

A sub version of this ruse is to create an “artist” for one ripoff song and use the same name as the original. For example, 1.7 million people looking for “Demons” by Imagine Dragons have instead listened to “Demons” by Imagine Demons. It’s the only track this “band” has on Spotify.

And:

Streaming’s impact on the way artists make music goes all the way to the top. Take Chris Brown, whose upcoming album Heartbreak on Full Moon has 40 tracks, and not because he has so much to say. The famously unscrupulous pop star has found a way to boost his streaming numbers, which in turn inflate sale figures, and will, he hopes, send his album shooting up the charts quicker than it otherwise would.

And:

That means that songs on playlists generally get a ton of plays. It’s why there are countless articles providing tips on how a band can get their music on a playlist. It’s also why Spotify is allegedly paying producers to create fake artists whose music can rack up plays without costing the company any more than what they paid up front.

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I hate this.

Raku likes this.
  3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

This is fascinating honestly.

4. heymattrick

Sending my love

OK but can we talk about how if I want to go on Youtube and watch videos of a show a band played last night, and I sort by "Recently Uploaded", there will be at least 3 pages of videos of fake "live streams" of that show? So frustrating and it's been this way for like the last two years. You can't filter them out.

5. jco3

Regular

Ugh, yes. This is so annoying. Youtube has gotta nip that in the bud.

I remember seeing the "live stream" videos for the first time, and I'm thinking 'Oh, cool...'. I'd soon learn that these phony "Live Streams" aren't cool at all.

Raku and heymattrick like this.
  6. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I've posted one of those videos here thinking it was real once. So stupid.