Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How Much Music Fits on an LP Side?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 6, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

I saw this question posed in our forums and found a really good answer from the mastering engineer Scott Hull:

It’s a simple question with a complex answer. Many websites publish charts explaining how much music fits on one side of a vinyl record. The main purpose of those guidelines is to make it easy for the cutting engineer to do his job. But do you want to have an average record or an extraordinary one? Ah, I thought so. You need to read on.

The post How Much Music Fits on an LP Side? appeared first on chorus.fm.

2. kidasquared

walk until your blush subsides

dope

3. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Thoroughly enjoy these informational posts

4. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Maybe this explains why all the SRC and some other reissues and first issues I order online that are single LPs are so much quieter than other records. My Dude Ranch, Sugarcult, Full Collapse, and several others and noticeably and annoyingly quiet, but I guess this reasoning makes sense.

5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Will read this later. Subbing for now.

6. vinny0190

Yea, there's other interesting factors, like cutting the record at half speed resulting in a 45 RPM LP. Doing that can make for a more precise stamper if I remember right; finding out what makes one sound better than another is just fascinating to me.

7. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

I agree 100% with this post. I read this link and realized that I've always had this "volume issue", even if I never have thought about it. I typically chalked it up to a cheap pressing. Also makes more sense with why the heavy vinyl pressings sound ridiculously good to me.

js977 likes this.
  8. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Knew nothing about this, really cool to read/learn