Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How many concerts do you go to in a year? Tour • Page 2

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by suicidesaints, May 13, 2016.

1. dilleo

Regular

Anywhere from 2 - 5 a year these days

2. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I only really got into seeing shows as a hobby about a couple of years ago, but I've hit it hard since then.

Or, at least I thought I did, until I saw some of these replies!

Saw 18 shows last year, where I used to live in Olympia, WA and would have to drive 60-90 mins to Seattle (or Portland) for a major show.

Live in LA now, and strangely enough do about as much driving, since there's so many venues so spread out. Think the total will be a little over 20 this year, since I've still got 10 shows left to see this year, and am waiting for about another 3-5 to be announced. Most of these are knocking bands off of my 'bucket list.' Will probably slow down when I have a solid roster of bands if like to see repeatedly.

Now, as for movies, that's virtually every weekend!

Did I mention I'm bad with money?

3. farva2

Regular

I used to pull 30-40 about until a a few years ago but i've slowed down alot since i got an actual job/ graduated. Now im around 20 a year. Most of the bands i was into at the time fuggin broke up in the past 2 years so there aren't many dudes i want to see left.

4. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

Maybe 2-3 a year, at best. I spent years going to enough shows to last me a lifetime, and being on tour at various points during those years. I only really make a point to see bands I've never seen nowadays, or go to fests where I can see a handful in one day if I like the lineup. Grown out of going to small club shows, for the most part.

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

as i've gotten older i've hated bigger shows more and more. the 500 cap shows or house shows are far preferable to me now

Toner likes this.
  6. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

5-10 sounds about right.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

On average? A small handful. I'm about 45 minutes from the Twin Cities and am in school so it's kinda hard to get there for shows more than sparsely.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  8. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't start going to shows regularly until last year, and I went to 12 then. This year I've been to seven.

Getting to them now isn't much of a hassle anymore since I just use Uber now instead of relying on rides from friends.

9. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Probably right around 40-50. When I was in charge of college it was closer to 70-90 depending on the year

10. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

To be honest I really don't know the exact number which is kind of an issue

11. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

20-30 for me. I got to pretty much every show I want to see that hits Indy or Bloomington, but there's usually not a whole lot. I sometimes drive down to Cincy, but that's a pain.

12. Strikegently

close cover, strike gently

Bands rarely tour Florida, and when they do it's almost never North Florida.
    Two venues just shut down, too, so the pool of available venues is getting smaller in the area.

13. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Where is the 0 option? :-/

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it's hard for me to count because there are some months I see 3 and some I see zero, I'm guessing around 20ish

15. manoverboard365

Trusted

I usually do about 20 a year, thought I was going a little overboard. But it looks like a lot of people have me beat!

16. Kiana May 14, 2016
    (Last edited: May 14, 2016)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I go to like 3 a year tops lol. Most artists I like skip the PNW completely. When they do come, they're a minimum of 4 hours away. So, I have to convince someone to go with me, get off work, drive four hours, go to show, and drive four hours back to go to work that morning. Of course this is not ideal so I'm very selective. If I'm not working I can get a hotel and not have to drive back immediately, which makes it even pricier. A $15 ticket can easily turn into $200+ so yeeeeah

17. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I do 5-10 but would do more if I didn't work nights. If I move to overnights, I am probably going to be in the 20-30 range.

18. marsvoltamcr

Trusted

8-10 is about a normal year for me. 3 so far this year and I have the Weezer/PATD tour, Warped, blink/ADTR/ATL, and maybe Summer Slaughter lined up for summer. I'll probably do 2 or 3 in the Fall. I don't go to too many shows in the winter because I hate buying advance tickets when there's a chance it might be a blizzard when the show happens haha. December-February are pretty much my off months for shows.

19. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Between 8 and 10. 2 so far for me though, but I have Basement/Turnover, Deafheaven, Luca Brasi/Moose Blood, Mayday Parade/The Early November, and Deftones coming up.

20. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

I used to be about 10-20 a year, but since moving to London in 2013 it has gone up pretty significantly to around 30!

I think signing up for Songkick also did a lot in boosting the number of shows I go to as I know about every single show ahead of them going on sale and never miss out on tickets.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 11.57.05.png
    Also, I created the above graph with a fun tool called Giggacounter. If anyone is signed up for last.fm or Songkick then they can get all geeky like me and create graphs based on date / bands / venues / city / country.

Check it out here: Giggacounter!

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 12.02.36.png

redwing91007 likes this.
  21. StephenRocks81

It takes a great band for me to get out anymore, I guess I do hit up a local show more than 1-5 times a year. But for the bigger bands, they just don't come around Indy as much as I would like. Plus, all the bands I really want to see haven't been touring much these days.

22. I went to 11 in 2015, which was a little low for me because my daughter was born in March. 2014 I did 20.

23. btr

Trusted Supporter

Usually 30-40 a year but I've been cutting back now that I've seen certain bands five or six times.

24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Pretty funny that based on some comments in here, I probably pay less for my 50+ than some pay for 10, haha

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  25. jhog3411

15-20 shows a year the last few, though I've only been to 3 thus far in 2016. In college I went to close to 20 a year.
    Then post-college I had a stretch where I saw 200+ shows in 4 years.

I'm pretty much done paying more than $50 for tickets. I saw Foo Fighters last year but can't imagine seeing them (or anyone else) again for so much money at a huge venue.

Has anyone noticed that regular show-goers usually call them "shows" while people who go once or twice a year call them "concerts?"