Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How Instagram Changed — Before It Had To

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Harry McCracken, writing for Fast Company:

“A big change happened when we decided to go non-square,” says Systrom, who, with his close-cropped beard, chocolate-colored quilted blazer, and wooden water bottle, has a sense of style befitting the cocreator of a tool for sharing beautiful photography. The decision not only gave the company more confidence to change its app, but also inspired it to go much further in evolving the service. Systrom realized that if the company waited until there were signs that the app was in dire need of revamping, it would likely be too late.

2. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I do hate that they can never leave well enough alone sometimes..

Raku likes this.
  3. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Now if only they gave users the option to opt-in to posts in chronological order :p

4. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Give me back chronological ordered posts, you dick.

Firefly and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  5. Schooner

Trusted

I prefer the non-chronology but option would be nice for others
    I'm glad I now see my friends posts rather than instamodels/celebs I have who do 40 posts a day

6. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I agree with the chronological order complaints, option would be nice!

Coinciding with the article, I've wondered lately about what sort of app/website might replace Instagram, like Facebook did with MySpace and numerous other examples from the early days of the Internet. I mean... I can't think of a simpler way to share information online than a photo-focussed app, and Instagram does it well. Will Instagram be the standard for decades to come?

billyboatman likes this.
  7. AutopilotYears

Regular

that "new" icon is still an abomination

8. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find many things, particularly relating to technology, that will be standard for decades to come. I'd agree that instagram is more established than Myspace achieved and is more likely to sustain itself for a while, but a lot can change regarding culture and technology over the coming years/decades.

9. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Agreed. I think "decades" may have been an overstatement. Still, curious to see how long current social media will last before a new social media platform takes precedent, I wonder what that platform will look like/consist of.

10. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

the adds by god....the adds

billyboatman likes this.
  11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I very rarely actually see ads in my feed these days.

12. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I think Instagram has ben making nothing but bad decisions ever since they started making significant changes in the first place. It has become a very messy app and it lost much of its character. Maybe the numbers are working out just fine though so fuck me I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if it would enter a free fall out of seemingly nothing though.