Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How HomePod works with Apple Music, iTunes Match, iCloud Music Library, AirPlay, and FLAC files

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Serenity Caldwell, writing for iMore:

Since my hands on with the HomePod, I’ve gotten a number of questions about how the HomePod deals with streaming from Apple Music, iCloud Music Library, AirPlay sources like your Mac, and if iTunes Match works at all in this crazy new world.

Here’s how everything is supposed to work.

2. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Personally, I have zero use for a HomePod at the moment. I have a soundbar/subwoofer in my bedroom where it would be of most use. I may consider one for my kitchen in the future, maybe v3 of the HomePod – that is, if it doesn't go the way of the iPod HiFi (which I did have.)

I do think folks who don't have similar setups to me, or have been holding out for Apple's answer to Amazon, will find something in this, though.

3. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I guess it seems cool, but they are a little late to the party. It doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking when compared to the Amazon Echo and the price isn't even comparable.

4. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Sound quality. Read any of the reviews, Apple blows everything else out of the water with HomePod in that respect. We have an Echo in the office, it sounds awful.

Bayside 182 and Jason Tate like this.
  5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

While I won't be running to get this any time soon (or maybe not ever), the review goes to lengths to say this is more about sound, where the Echo is about voice commands.

Bayside 182, Jason Tate and Jonathan like this.
  6. Tim McCall

Regular

I'm excited that Apple is this market, but for me an echo dot hooked up to my turntable setup is fine for a secondary device.

7. Hunter Norman

Regular

I have echo(s) in our house, connected to good quality Bluetooth speakers throughout so the sound quality is amazing and the assistant is actually good as opposed to Siri, who is severely lacking especially for home automation. The price point alone is kind of killing this for me

8. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Strictly playing devil's advocate here, but with the exception of my Nest products (UGH), I can control everything in my house over Siri. Apple has eased up on the HomeKit requirements and made them software-based, so I'm hoping that Nest will work with the Home app soon.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. bloodinthesand

Regular

A little late to the game on wireless speakers I feel..bowers and Wilkins, and UE are crushing it now

10. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Like the iPod was late to the game on mp3 players?

11. Jonathan likes this.
  12. Hunter Norman

Regular

Ah nice, I hadn't realized they eased up a bit on HomeKit, so that's nice. That was my first issue a while back when I worked for Apple, because HomeKit was so limited. Again, for me it's moot because I use Android primarily and only use Apple strictly on the computer side. However, my decisions are ultimately swayed by control on my end and Amazon was far and away the choice there, leaving me able to integrate easily with my server and Raspberry Pi, creating custom skills, etc. The sound was the only thing I was hesitant about with the Echo but linking each one to whole-home audio fixed that. Just more leg work rather than having something that integrates out of the box which has always been Apple's strong suit for me: Take it out of the box and you're good to go

13. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

SERIOUSLY IT IS. I use my LIFX lights and August smart lock/doorbell/keypad with the Home app, and it's so much faster than the respective apps for those devices.

With August, if I'm in the app but not at my home within bluetooth range, I have to press a manual data connect button which also requires a dongle to interact with. However, I can do the exact same thing in the Home app in less time with less steps, and no dongle required since HomeKit uses the Apple TV. I rarely use the August app unless I'm creating codes for friends or checking the doorbell camera logs.

With LIFX, I only open the app if I want to use one of the fancier features, like themes, lava lamp, music visualizer, etc. Stuff that can't be found in the Home app.

Are you using Nest, or another thermostat? I am shocked they have held out so long.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Hunter Norman

Regular

I've never used Siri for anything home automation centric because I've always had the Echo system, but that seems like it's just a matter of using HomeKit (which was previously much more limited). I think what drew me to the Echo was the ability to use so many different skills. But again, I'm at a disadvantage in the conversation regardless because I don't have an Apple ecosystem anyway (Android not iOS, Roku not Apple TV, etc.)

Jonathan likes this.
  15. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I think that will end of being a deciding factor for many, not the sound quality. However, if you're deep into the Apple ecosystem and really want one of these devices, HomePod is probably not something you'll shy away from given how Apple devices already come at a premium and you'd probably be used to that.

Hunter Norman and Jason Tate like this.