Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling Shaped the Music of ‘La La Land’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Crystal Bell of MTV talks with La La Land songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul:

The songwriting duo, who met as undergrads in the University of Michigan’s musical theater program, have a knack for putting life’s messy, uncomfortable moments to song. In La La Land, Pasek and Paul capture a kind of buoyant melancholia only artists could truly understand, as the complicated lives of jazz pianist Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) and struggling actress Mia (Emma Stone) romantically intertwine. Chazelle’s ode to dreamers is a lush cinematic experience bathed in brazen technicolor and Stone’s effervescent charisma, but its music is wonderfully simple.

2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

The only downside to becoming a dad to an amazing little dude is that I'm going through my first fall season full of incredible films that I can't go see. For a film blog-addicted nerd like myself, missing out on stuff like this, Silence, Arrival, Moonlight and everything else is torture.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Frinet42

Regular Supporter

Can't wait to see this, I'm surprised it's not getting a wider release.

4. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Perfect soundtrack, perfect acting, perfect score. Saw at the Denver FF. Seeing it again 8:00pm on Thursday. Denver's one of only three cities playing the movie that night, and I cross my fingers we're in for a special surprise.

5. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Despite being a musical, is it any similar to Whiplash? ;D

6. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I need to see this pretty badly. Whiplash is a recent favorite of mine

7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I just saw Whiplash for the first time last night. I know, I'm late to the game. I thought it was fantastic. That said, I can't imagine this being anything like Whiplash, despite same director.

8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I have the same problem...my son is almost 2 1/2 now and I used to be a complete film snob, go to the theater a ton, watch movies at home like crazy, etc.

Now? Since he was born, I can count on one or two hands how many times I've been to the theater...last film I saw in the theater was The Big Short...over a year ago. It's nuts. It's not that we can't get a babysitter, it's just that if we do get a babysitter, we'd rather go out and socialize with friends or get drinks/dinner and not be holed up in a theater.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  9. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Brother, it is tough. My mom came up from Miami this weekend, so the wife and I escaped to the theater on Sunday night to catch Doctor Strange. While I enjoyed it, I walked out thinking "shit, there were like six other things we could've seen that I have no idea when we'll get around to." 21st-generation-first-world problems, dude.

Redbox and streaming sites have escued us right now that he's only a couple of months old and spends a good chunk of the time sleeping. I feel like an old man watching movies with the captions on though haha.