Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How Drake and Apple Music Broke Streaming Records

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Verge:

Drake’s latest project More Life was streamed 300 million times worldwide in its first week on Apple Music, Republic Records tells The Verge, surpassing the 250 million streams the label said Views, an Apple Music exclusive, did in its first week last year. The biggest first week for any album on a single service is Ed Sheeran’s Divide, which was streamed 375 million times on Spotify. The label also says early calculations for More Life have it at around 600 million streams worldwide, which would be a record for an album.

Those are big numbers.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Good read. I had one question that I don't think was straight out answered, but for every individual person who tuned into Beats 1 OVO Sound for the radio premiere of the album... did that listen count as a stream? I think the answer is yes, but I didn't see it spelled out for me

3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Views is on Spotify though:chin:

4. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

For Apple's marketing team, yes, for Billboard, no.

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The Lucky Moose likes this.