Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How do you listen to music?

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by mad, Jun 25, 2020.

?

How do you listen to music?

1. Full albums

58 vote(s)
    89.2%
  2. Playlists I make

28 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. Playlists made by other people

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Personalized playlists (e.g. Spotfy's daily mixes, discover weekly, and artist radios)

18 vote(s)
    27.7%
  5. One artist on shuffle

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  6. Satellite/Online radio stations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Traditional FM radio stations

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. My whole library on shuffle

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mad

I was right. Prestigious

What different ways do you listen to music? Which method(s) do you use most often?

2. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I've always been a majority full album listener, but these days because I have so much "down time" during my work day I have much more time to devote to actively listening. I listen to full albums 90-95% of the time.

waking season likes this.
  3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Typically full albums. If I'm cooking or driving, a playlist I made on shuffle. If I'm in the mood, a specific artist on shuffle

4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I almost always pick an album and play it through without skipping anything.

I also mostly only listen in the car or while I'm cleaning

5. Full albums and especially through discography runs nowadays. I'll listen to everything an artist has done prior to a new release. Back in college, I'll have my library on shuffle while commuting but I don't really do this anymore. It explains why I barely revisit pre-release singles and instead wait for the whole thing to leak or to come out.

I make playlists for specific occasions, like when we meet up with my brother and some friends on weekends or go on a trip all together.

6. mad

I was right. Prestigious

forgot about the old whole library on shuffle game so I added that option

7. username

hey you lil piss baby

Mostly full albums. I also have a bunch of playlists, both made by myself (usually new singles and/or highlights from albums I have in rotation) and compiled from elsewhere (I have a running playlist of Pitchfork’s BNT/BNM and their weekly Selects playlist, Stereogum’s best songs of the week, etc). On rare occasions I will just hit shuffle on my entire *downloaded* library on my phone, which is usually a mix of the current year’s releases plus stuff that I’ve kept in heavy rotation from prior years.

Crisp X likes this.
  8. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Mostly full albums but if I have a short drive or I’m on break at work I’ll throw on a playlist I made

9. chris

Trusted Supporter

Primarily full albums, but I will like to throw on Spotify daily mixes while I'm working. Would like to make more personal playlists, it's just never really my first instinct when listening to music. I like listening to other people's playlists though

10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Since lockdown started I'm listening to more playlists and artist radio station. Full albums outside of those.

11. MathiasGeleyn

Regular

Most of the time I listen to full albums. I do this at home or when I'm on my bike. The full discography also happens occasionally. I used to just shuffle my entire library on itunes, but that doesn't happen that often anymore.

I tried making playlists, but I suck at deciding what I want to add and just end up adding everything into it.

12. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I used to do this all the time. Now most of the playlists I make are my yearly ones and I have a rule of no more than 3 songs per album or 2 per EP.

13. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

99% of the time I listen to full albums, and because of that I kind of hate one off singles lol

14. cherrywaves

Trusted

100%, it's so hard to keep track of loosies in the streaming era

Crisp X, waking season and JRGComedy like this.
  15. cherrywaves

Trusted

I try to do full albums, but sometimes if I'm trying to get something done quickly I'll throw on a personal playlist or daily mix

16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

EPs tend to fall through the cracks for me too

Crisp X and waking season like this.
  17. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I feel like if an ep feels substantial (like vroom vroom, blood bank, etc) I’ll still listen a lot but yeah I don’t put EPs on that much. Especially if they’re 10 minutes or less, unless I’m on a short drive.

Crisp X, JRGComedy and waking season like this.
  18. mad Jun 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 27, 2020)
    mad

I was right. Prestigious

I asked my friend for comparison
    CB9DF0E1-5523-467B-B22A-1EEBB1F6DC82.jpeg

might poll more of my friends for science, I have a feeling a few of them hardly (if ever) listen to full albums

19. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

I try and listen to full albums, and I definitely do more than probably any of my friends, but a lot of times I just kinda jump around and listen to a handful of songs by an artist and then switch. I get into playlist moods but I find that usually happens more at work, which I also spend a lot of my free time at (it's a bar) so playlists tend to dominate that.

Outside of that environment, I usually only listen to like daily mixes or playlists generated for me. I always think I should listen to other people's playlists more because I find it fun to browse and see what other people put together, but I don't often listen to them

Voted for my whole library on shuffle cause that seems to represent my habits the best lol

20. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

none of my irl friends listen to albums haha. just playlists of singles

mad likes this.
  21. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Full albums, almost always. It's been at least a year since I've done this, but sometimes I'll throw an artist with a big discography that I love (e.g., The 1975) on shuffle.

22. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’ll put an artist on shuffle while I’m cooking or taking a shower

23. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

usually everything on shuffle, sometimes playlists i make. i see the merit of listening to whole albums but i basically started listening to music right as it started to become more digital so i just never got into that habit. i like the constant variety.

24. MathiasGeleyn

Regular

Isn't there a big chance that you're missing some incredible songs when you don't listen to an entire album? Singles that are being released often have a commercial purpose. This does not mean that they lack quality, but they are meant to attract attention. I don't want to risk missing out on a hidden gem.

Also, some songs require multiple listens to appreciate them. What if you do not give those songs the time to do that?

StreetSpirit likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

full albums when they come out and than whatever song I can squeeze serotonin out of on constant loop until that doesn't work anymore and it's on to the next one

Doomsday and mad like this.