Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How did you decide on your favorite franchises? • Page 4

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 16, 2016.

1. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

@bandnamexmyname would you switch allegiances to a Seattle NHL team if expansion goes through up there?

2. probably, yeah. I hope it is expansion because I guess it would be kind of weird to take, like, the Hurricanes or Coyotes, but the likelihood of either expansion or relocation happening soon is so low that i suppose i won't have to think about it all that much haha

3. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

NBA - Bulls and Lakers. A lot of the teams I support are Chicago based as that's where I'm from. I like the Lakers because my dad and I watched all their games growing up, he followed Phil Jackson -- having lived the 90's Bulls era with him.

NFL - Bears

MLB - Cubs

NHL - Hawks

College: Wisconsin Badgers - I have lived in Wisconsin for most of my life.

Soccer - Olympique Lyonnais - As a teenager when I first started to play FIFA I played with them all the time. Then I started watching all their matches IRL. I also like the Croatian National Team because that's where family is from.

4. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

Never like to see a team relocate. Just thinking about those fans losing their team kills me. Would much rather see a team in Seattle than Las Vegas or Quebec City for what it's worth.

5. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Cleveland Indians because I'm a masochist and love losing...and I'm from the area.

LA Lakers because my dad watched them and I grew up when Kobe was the biggest player in the league.

6. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

I'm from the south suburbs of Chicago.

Chicago Cubs because I've always been really into history and the Cubs have a pretty rich history even if it's not full of glory. I came of baseball-watching age during the home run race between McGwire and Sosa, which absolutely captivated me. I should, in all honesty, be a White Sox fan because the South Side and south suburbs of Chicago are White Sox fan havens and my father is a Sox fan AND we had Sox season tickets when I was a kid, so I went to way more White Sox games than I did Cubs games, but there was something about the aura of Wrigley and the history that really attracted me to the Cubs. Also, red-white-blue color scheme is much more attracting to a kid than white-black-gray.

I used to root for the Red Sox as my AL team because I felt some sort of kinship between us due to our prolonged championship droughts (as well as family from the Boston area), but now the Red Sox have won 3 World Series in the last 12 years, so I can't be bothered.

I love Mike Trout and watch all his ABs that I can.

Chicago Blackhawks because geography.

Wisconsin Badgers
    because that's where I go to school.

Liverpool FC because, well, I'm not going to pretend as though I have some great reason. I didn't want to be a glory hunter (started following ~2010), but I also didn't want to choose a team that would always be battling relegation. John Green's intense fandom for Liverpool was also an influential part of my choosing.

I watch more and more soccer every season, so I'm gaining more knowledge and understanding with every year and I've become legitimately invested in Liverpool's results. They're probably my #2 team after the Cubs in terms of fandom and time spent watching/reading.

7. Mr. Dennis

On the Free from PSG

Late in May of 1999. Got home from school in time to see Ole score goal in injury time

Beckham into Sheringham...and Solskjear has won it.

Manchester United if anyone was wondering

Nick and williek311 like this.
  8. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

That beautiful baby faced assassin.

Nick likes this.
  9. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

Good on you

Nick likes this.
  10. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I was born in Canada and lived there until I was 8 so picked up the Calgary Flames because they were my dads team.

Moved to Portland, Ore. so from there it was the Blazers for basketball, Mariners for baseball and Seahawks for football. Now I live in Seattle so the latter two make even more sense.

Also now since I'm working on getting in to UW to finish my degree/living here the last couple years has made me become a fan of the Dawgs. I also still cheer for Oregon State since so many members of my family go there/went there/and I cheered for them growing up.

11. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I was raised by a loving family. Detroit Red Wings fan til death.

12. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Celtics, Patriots, Bruins, Sox: All geography related. Absolutely love Boston as a city and I have serious aspirations to permanently make the move there someday.

Essendon: Essendon are an Australian football team and I've been supporting them since I was about three years of age. Up until when I was born my father had me all but converted to supporting his team, Richmond. That all fell through when I slept over at my grandparents house for the weekend. They put me in front of a television and had me watch classic games, they had a record player with the Essendon theme song trying to teach me all the words, and they bought me my first football jumper. Essentially, I was brainwashed and I couldn't be happier. This is the sport and team I'm most passionate about.

Roger Federer: My sporting idol. I can't quite remember when I started following his career but if I had to guess it would be the Australian Open of 2004. I was, and in many ways still am, awestruck of his ability. Whenever he steps out on court, he has an aura about him and it's like watching a magician at work. I'll be devastated when he hangs it up and retires.

Angelique Kerber: On the women's side of the spectrum, Angelique is certainly my favourite female tennis player. Following her career thus far has been nothing short of a rollercoaster - winning games she looks completely out of and losing the unthinkable. Seeing her finally win her first grand slam live at the Australian Open this year though was so exhilarating. Super proud of her.

Birmingham City: I have some wonderful friends up in Birmingham who support the club so that's where my soccer allegiance is. I haven't seen one of their games in years because they got relegated out of the Premier League and there's absolutely no coverage of the lesser divisions which is unfortunate. I generally have to rely on highlights which is less than ideal.

13. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Born and raised in Brooklyn NY. My dad and my uncle were huge Mets fans. My mom was a big Yankees fan. I Just spent a lot more time with my dad when first learning about baseball and my uncle was just the best dude ever. He would always just be like "You're a Mets fan right? The Yankees are the worst!" And at 8 years old I just decided "Yes!" and never looked back. Something always appealed to me about them being the underdogs of the city.

Now I live a half hour train ride away from citi field and everything is lovely.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  14. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

Jaguars: My family is from Jax primarily. I've been a Jaguars fan since the inaugural season. So many great memories in the 90's. Today, my cousin is the VP for the Bold City Brigade, and Jaguars games are finally becoming a pleasant experience at the stadium for the first time in a long time. I have high hopes for the next 5 years.

Gators: Again, family ties. I've been a Gators fan since I was 4 years old. You'll never hear me complain about how much the Gators suck right now. I got 19 years of Billy Donovan and back to back titles in basketball, and I've seen the football team win 3 national titles in my lifetime, two while I was in college. We're not a good team in football, or basketball these days, but hey, I've gotten to see my fair share of success.

Hornets: Growing up, I loved Mugsy Bogues, and was also a Bulls (read: MJ fan), and loved that Mugsy was in Space Jam. I would always play as the Bulls or Hornets in NBA Jam or Tecmo NBA Basketball on the SNES. I stopped caring about the NBA entirely when the Hornets left in 2002, and now that they're back, it's like a part of my childhood is back, as well. The Hornets are so fun to root for, and they finally have a great team again.

Red Sox/Braves:
    My uncle is from Boston, and I remember watching the 2004 ALCS with my family and watching him overjoyed at the outcome. I didn't really understand the history/implications at the time, because I didn't follow baseball very closely back then (huge basketball fan). But since that series in 04, I've become a rabid Red Sox fan over the last 12 years, which has been interesting as I grew up an Atlanta Braves fan, like most people in the South. I'd say I was a diehard Braves fan until about age 12 or 13 (I'm 30 this year). One of the highlights of my childhood was getting an autographed picture and letter from Chipper Jones in the 3rd grade (which I still have).

I grew up loving the Braves, but the magic went away for me during the steroids era, and I never cared about the Braves after that again. It actually took me quite a while to be invested in the game of baseball again after all of that came out, plus I was completely invested in the game of basketball as I played it from elementary school all through high school, so my interest in the game of baseball waned until the Sox won in 04. That moment just made me believe that Baseball could be fun for me again.

But the Braves are just 5 hours away, and the new stadium is gonna be amazingly cool to visit next year when it's complete.

I'll still go back and play as the 96 Braves in World Series Baseball on the Sega Genesis now and again. I still go to Braves games when the Sox are in town, and I love how much history is tied together between those two franchises.

15. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

My parents had me extremely young, resented me for taking their youth, consequently raised me as a Leaf fan.

Neither of them even follow hockey.

Cola. likes this.
  16. Delfina M

Que dice usted?

I have no idea how I became a Liverpool fan, but I distinctly remember watching Andres Iniesta score the winning goal in the 2010 World Cup. After that, I became a die hard Barcelona fan. Now I have two dogs named Iniesta and Henderson.

17. dvdjmskng

The horizon is my home... Supporter

Tottenham Hotspur - I really had no choice about this one. My Dad and Grandpa supported them...so Spurs were forced on me from an early age. Being a Spurs fan has really taught me how unfair life can be.

Minnesota Timberwolves - I got into the NBA at school, around the time that Garnett, Marbury and Gugliotta were tearing up the league. I've followed them through the good and (mainly) bad times. If all goes well, they will be the team to watch over the next few years!

18. omgrawr Apr 11, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

NCAA FB and BB - Purdue- Because I went there and loved it. Didn't root for them growing up, I used to be a UNC fan basically because I liked their colors as a kid and could watch them a lot on tv.

NFL - Vikings - Got into football in 6th grade because of Madden. I always played with the Vikings and loved Randy Moss and Dante Culpepper and that translated into lifelong fandom. Also hated the team of my home state, the Colts, because I've always hated Peyton Manning.

NBA - Pacers - I'm from Indiana and loved the Pacers since I first went to a playoff game when I was like 8.

NHL - Sharks - Played a ton as the Sharks on EA's NHL game in college. A buddy and I got super good online (in the top 500 at one point) even though we knew nothing about hockey. We picked the Sharks by googling "fastest team in NHL 09" lol

19. sdnyjns

I am not a robot

Born and raised in Atlanta, GA so by default I'm extremely partial to the Atlanta Hawks and am a diehard Atlanta Falcons fan and Georgia Bulldogs fan. I also plan to go hard for the Atlanta United FC when they start playing in 2017.

I used to be an Atlanta Braves fan, until they decided to fuck themselves over reading Jason Heyward and everybody else good and also deciding to move out of downtown Atlanta to Cobb fucking County.... but I digress. So now, since David Ortiz has been one of my favorite players since 2004, I've been claiming the Boston Red Sox as my baseball team.

I'm a huge San Antonio Spurs fan, moreso than I am an Atlanta Hawks fan. Solely because I would play with Tim Duncan on NBA 2K1 on the Dreamcast and it was oh so glorious. Plus, Kawhi Leonard is the best player in there NBA - fight me.

Other teams I'm a fan of: Chicago Bears, San Diego Chargers, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, and the United States Women's National Soccer Team - because, unlike their male counterparts, they know how to win championships!

20. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

utah jazz - geography. the holy trinity, stockton malone sloan.
    real salt lake - geography
    cleveland browns - wanted to start watching nfl and didn't wanna pick a good bandwagon team... didn't realize how awful they were.
    milwaukee brewers - had to pick a team and, beer. also milwaukee seems pretty chill
    st. louis blues - my fav sports team is the jazz and blues/jazz seemed to correlate well.

DarkHotline likes this.
  21. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Most of the sport I follow is Australian sport.

Fremantle Dockers (AFL) - Geography

Perth Wildcats (NBL) - Geography

Peel Thunder (WAFL) - Fremantle's reserves side. If players aren't playing in the senior team, they play for this team in the state league.

Western Force (Rugby)- Geography, Uncle and Grandfather supports them.

Green Bay Packers (NFL) - I worked out that the NFL season was on during the AFL off season, so I started watching it on ESPN and Green Bay won the first game of NFL I ever watched. Stupid reason.

22. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Other baseball teams I tend to root for/enjoy when not playing the Mets:

Giants
    Orioles
    Cubs

23. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Denver Broncos - My cousin loved them, so in 3rd grade I decided I loved them too. Hasn't changed since.
    Boston Red Sox - My best friend with the same first and middle name as I loved them in 4th grade so I decided I did too.
    Chicago Bulls - I loved Jordan and won gold plated/autographed cards from Gatorade when I was like 7. Just solidified more that I was a fan. Tony Snell is also on the Bulls as well as Bairstow (was). They attended my college.

24. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

NCAA Football

Auburn: Watched a documentary about the rivalry between Alabama and Auburn and I was more drawn into Auburn than Alabama so I decided to follow them. Plus, orange and blue is a great color combo.

25. Jose

weightless in the valley

Miami Heat: hometown love
    Pittsburgh Steelers: first time I watched the superbowl was Cardinals v Steelers. Steelers win and I picked them up ever since.