Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How did you decide on your favorite franchises? • Page 3

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Family Friendly Rap God

Knicks- born and raised NY'ker
    Yankees- same as above
    Rangers- same as above
    Carolina Panthers- first NFL game
    UNC Tarheels (CBB) - they were he one team I loved to watch on tv
    SC Gamecocks (CFB) - first CFB game.

Swoos likes this.
  2. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Hi all, I was never a big poster on AP so here's me jumping in:

Steelers & Jeff Gordon (any NASCAR fans around here?): my dad is a fan so I acquired both growing up.

Dallas Mavericks: also dad related, when I first started playing rec basketball (~4th grade), I asked my dad what team I was on after he registered me and he threw out the name. It stuck haha

Sabres: I'm from Rochester, NY, so it's my local team, and I adored the black and red jerseys

Chelsea: back in the day I followed players more closely than teams, and Chelsea was always a common denominator, particularly for drogba, so when I stared paying more attention to clubs it was a natural transition. I now realize how frustrating such turnover is...

Cornell: my alma mater, I follow their hockey and lacrosse teams most closely

3. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Born and raised in Pittsburgh, so I didn't have much choice. I don't really like baseball much, so I don't follow the Pirates closely. Steelers are my main team across sports and Penguins are second.

4. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Living in Rochester, NY my entire life, the Sabres and Bills are the local teams and the ones my friends and family liked when I became interested in sports in 1995.

5. bd007h

I'm sorry :cringe:

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

For all the parades we've had, or...?

Texas Flood likes this.
  7. bd007h

Because the Bruins are the dirtiest team in the NHL and the Patriots cheat :P

8. bd007h Mar 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2016)
    bd007h

I never minded the Celtics and I don't care for baseball. The Pats and Bruins are my most hated teams in sports though.

Didn't mind them too much in the 90s though during the Bourque/Axelsson/Dafoe and Jefferson/Bledsoe days.

9. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Yawn

DarkHotline and kidwithhelmet like this.
  10. Most of mine are pretty basic:
    Sabres / Bills - From Buffalo, still here
    University of Michigan - Used to jump around college teams depending on players. Like when AP played for Oklahoma. Vsited a friend in Michigan, attended a hockey game and went to the Big House. Committed myself to them after that experience.
    Chelsea FC - Step-dad was the one who started my interest in soccer. Bought me my first jersey, Frank Lampard, and I;ve support them ever since.
    Jaguars - As a second NFL team. I've supported them since I was 7 because I thought the jerseys were cool and I wanted to be different. Bills fan first, but the Jags hold a weird spot in my heart.

11. bd007h

12. phaynes1

Regular

Which sports radio person told you this? I bet you feel very creative and brave saying these opinions online.

DarkHotline and cshadows2887 like this.
  13. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

My father was born and raised in Cleveland. I like all Cleveland teams and Ohio State. I went to WVU so I like them. I live in Richmond and attend VCU games so I root for them. I lived in England during the mid 90s, Manchester United was the team to watch so I cheered for them.

14. phaynes1

Regular

Richmond is cool

williek311 likes this.
  15. George

Trusted Prestigious

Only follow one team, Preston, which was where I was born. I don't follow any other sports well enough to have a favourite team.

I have a soft spot for Juventus, because when I was a kid Italian football was on terrestrial TV a lot more than British football, and I just latched onto them for whatever reason. Wouldn't go as far to say I actually support them though.

16. HalfHearted

Regular

Bills and Sabres - Local
    Oakland A's - Favorite player growing up was Mark McGwire
    Charlotte Hornets - Favorite player growing up was Larry Johnson
    Manchester United - Wayne Rooney got me into soccer, also favorite player.
    Miami Hurricanes Football and Kentucky Basketball - No clue how I became a fan. They were both on TV a lot and I loved watching them play. Been hooked ever since about 1998.

17. ClarettsGreyGoose

I wish I had changed my user name... Prestigious

NHL: Sabres is geography.
    NFL: Bills, again geography. I have family in the Tampa area and used to support the Bucs up until the jersey switch. I just can't with those monstrosities.
    NBA: No favorites, just enjoy watching the premier teams faceoff.
    NCAAB: Cuse and Buffalo, geography.
    NCAAF: South Carolina - never really had a team growing up since we don't have any powerhouses. I started watching them when the Spurrier era began and they were on TV all the time and just became an actual fan.
    MLB: Braves - 150 games a year on TBS when I was a kid, before YES and Sportsnet were available or in existence in Buffalo and then also the Jays (geography)

18. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

I didn't want to be a Leafs, Habs, or Sens fans growing up, so the next closest teams were the Wings and Sabres, and I chose the Red Wings. Also happened to be playing in the first game I ever watched on television.

Blue Jays just because they're local and my dad and grandpa were both diehard fans.

Casual Magic and 49ers fan. Chose those two because I liked their colors and logos when I was a little kid.

19. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Denver Broncos: I was born in Denver and my family are all fans.

Iowa State: I lived in a town just north of Ames, plus family are all fans.

Chicago Cubs: My dad and uncle are fans so I am too.

Colorado Avs: I don't really care for hockey anymore but I still root for them when I remember to.

20. bd007h

Nice to see several Sabres and Bills fans in here :thumbup:

js977 likes this.
  21. natehargis

Cincinnati Reds - My dad started taking me to games when I was 2 years old and I have been obsessed ever since.

Kentucky Wildcats - I grew up in Lexington and went to school there so that one is a no brainer.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Not a diehard by any stretch of the imagination, but I really like hockey and so I choose the team closest to me.

22. This!!

23. preppyak

Elite Supporter

Pittsburgh Steelers: My dad is a fan, and, living so close to Philly, I knew I couldnt be an Eagles fan.
    Kansas Jayhawks: Kirk Hinrich, basically.

Its actually amazing to me to think how I dont have a favorite in basically every other sport. Makes watching the NBA/NHL playoffs more fun that way though

24. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

Geography. Also an acute ability to love what people hate. (Pats, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics)

Montauk1222 likes this.
  25. Seattle Mariners/Seahawks/Sounders/Sonics/Storm/Thunderbirds/U of Washington etc. - Born and raised in Seattle, logical choices. Lifelong love bb

Michigan - Got relatives who were faculty once upon a time

Boston Bruins/Celtics - sports where Seattle doesn't have a top-level club. Lived briefly in Boston as a kid just getting into sports so was into the Bruins from a young age. Started following the Celtics as a result of the Sonics leaving Seattle but to be honest I lost a lot of interest in the NBA after Sonicsgate.

Liverpool FC/AS Roma - Playing and watching soccer as a kid I was instantly drawn to Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, and Francesco Totti. Didn't really have another outlet for local fandom so I started following both clubs from a young age. Worked out nicely that Gerrard and Totti ended up all-time greats for their respective clubs.