Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How did you decide on your favorite franchises?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I figured we could start our question of the day segments here in the sport section.

- Flyers: In the nineties, I lived in South Jersey and they were dominant. I was all about Super Friends and they had a line called the Legion of Doom. That was enough to make me a fan for life.
    - Phillies: First ball game I ever went to.
    - Magic: Penny Hardaway and subsequently, SHAQ.
    - Eagles: I think this was just a South Jersey thing. That and hating my family's love of the Giants.
    - UNC & UCONN: NCAA Basketball game on the SEGA Genesis. I was obsessed with their blue and white jerseys. It led me to pick them every time.
    - Tottenham Hotspur: For some reason I used to default to these guys in FIFA and it just stuck.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Geography, plain and simple.

Sox, Celtics, Bruins and Patriots

WhosBroden? and scott like this.
  3. Almost the reverse of my story. I come from a family of Cubs fans. Naturally, young me wanted to hold it over their heads that I liked a winning team, so I became a Yankees fan. I also really latched onto Derek Jeter as a role model when I was young. I don't care that much about baseball or follow it too closely anymore, but I always enjoy watching the Yankees in October.

4. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Geography (and because of my dad):
    Chargers
    Padres
    SD St Aztecs

Alma Mater:
    Kansas State

5. bobby_runs

Started to really grasp onto football when Elway won back to back SBs so I was close to being a Broncos fan but it never stuck.

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was a big Yankees homer growing up. It was literally the only thing I had in common with my grandpa. We would sit and watch/talk baseball a lot. He was a great guy who spent a lot of time with the team. He has this picture of him with Micky Mantle that I absolutely cherish.

But yeah, Phillies all the way now.

7. Yup, same.

8. cshadows2887

With your Boston hate, you must love that we have your fragrant, week-old garbage coaching first base for us now.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I laughed so hard at the announcement of that. At least he can't ruin an entire franchise from that position.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

University of Tennessee Volunteers -- my mother attended there, and most of my family are fanatics, so despite being born in Florida, I bleed orange. We moved here eventually.

Buccaneers, Lightning, Rays - Born in Tampa, don't watch them as much as I did when living down there, nor do I typically watch hockey or baseball, but they're my hometown teams.

FC Barcelona -- While studying abroad, I went to Barcelona for Spring Break. We watched the local derby with Espanyol in a bar surrounded by fans. This was the height of the Guardiola era, so I was well aware and had been watching Barcelona for quite a few years, but this is when I went from appreciator of beautiful soccer to full on support. I now watch more Barca matches than any other sport throughout the year.

Udinese -- I studied abroad about forty minutes from Udine, Italy, and this was their local team. They have living Italian legend Antonio Di Natale on their team (and Alexis Sanchez, who went on to Barcelona and then now at Arsenal) was playing there at the time as well.

Swansea City -- Decided I wanted to get into the EPL and the very first game that season, newly promoted Swansea went to the previous season champions' Manchester City for the first game. I loved the way they played. They played beautifully, and even though they loss, I knew I'd support them from then on.

The only other sport I watch ridiculous amounts of is tennis, and I have an hierarchy of players. I tend to lean American player over others, but I find myself choosing which player I support based on their personality as matches go.

11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

From New York

So.. Mets, Giants, Knicks

12. cshadows2887

He'll find a way somehow.

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Franchise is such a weird word for sports teams. I follow Man United due to family. Dad and Grandad followed them.

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Is it the correct term? It has always felt right in the context.

15. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Cincinnati Bengals - Mainly because I live around here and I am a masochist.

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Geography. Detroit Tigers, Detroit Pistons, Detroit Lions (unfortunately), Michigan Wolverines.

When I got into Premier League I liked Tottenham at first because Gareth Bale/their kits looked exactly like my high school's. Then I remembered I hated high school so I gravitated towards Everton after some reading and learning about the players.

17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

In America sure, but it's not used over this way. We say teams and clubs. Just a quirk of dialect but franchise seems really impersonal to me.

18. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Well, our franchises can rename their teams and move their cities, so in a way, they are pretty drastically different.

Nick likes this.
  19. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah that's true. Has happened in England too with the MK Dons.

20. bobby_runs

Says every San Diego fan, Cleveland fan, etc

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  21. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

Manchester United - Was bored one summer and watched some of the Euro '04 tournament on the old Fox Soccer Channel. They showed a lot of condensed highlight games and full classic games, it was Manchester United 99% of the time. Was mesmerized watching endless clips of Scholes and Giggs just tearing teams apart. Also red was and is my favorite color.

Toronto FC/Toronto Raptors - We're a Canadian/Toronto family.

Carolina Hurricanes - My family never really got into hockey until I was old enough to get into it. We started going to Canes games as they were cheap and 15 minutes away. We were partial season ticket holders by the time they won the cup, went to every home playoff game that year. Tried to ditch the team recently in favor of the Leafs, but at this point I think I'm stuck with them for good.

Nick likes this.
  22. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Geography + Dad.

Braves, Hawks, Falcons, and literally any Georgia college team (UGA, GaTech, GaState, etc.)

I half heartedly root for Kentucky because of my mom and my in-laws (all from Kentucky)

23. Fucking Dustin Mar 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 17, 2016)
    Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

NFL: Houston Texans - Because I hate Jerry Jones and I remember the team first being born and when I really got more into football, they felt the most like "my" team.

NBA: Dallas Mavericks - From Dallas. I'm boring.

NHL: Dallas Stars - See NBA.

NCAAF: Auburn Tigers - Dumbest reason of all but they were the default college on Madden back when I created characters on there and I didn't have a team so I always just selected them and rooted for them. Also my mom roots for Georgia and her husband roots for Alabama so I enjoy supporting a team competing with them.

24. bobby_runs

I was close to becoming a Texans fan until the owner was lobbying for the Chargers in LA.

25. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Entirely fair reason not to root for em. Was against that idea too.

Randall Mentzos likes this.