Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How Apple Is Putting Voices in Users’ Heads — Literally

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Steven Levy, writing for Wired:

Cochlear implants bypass the usual hearing process by embedding a device in the inner ear and connecting it via electrodes to the nerve that sends audio signals to the brain. The implant gets sound from an external microphone and sound processor that usually sits behind the ear. Until now, users have had to deal with balky remote controls to adjust the settings. And dealing with smartphones has required a separate piece of equipment that vexes communication thanks to its low quality and annoying lags. But Bahnmueller, a 49-year-old executive in automotive safety, has recently been testing a new solution. The reason I was coming through so clearly is that his over-the-ear device linked to the implant was streaming directly from his iPhone—essentially putting the conversation in his head.

2. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Okay I might be paranoid but I don't want megacorps connecting ANYTHING to my nerves. Tech companies have no regard for consumer privacy and I am not going down that slippery slope

Raku and DesolateEarth like this.
  3. DesolateEarth

Birb

Yeah no thanks.

Raku likes this.
  4. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

I've been imagining this for years now. Seems it's not far off.

5. Cochlear implants are for people that have severe hearing loss. This means they can hear when they couldn't before ... this is a huge accessibility win.
    A cochlear implant is an electronic medical device that replaces the function of the damaged inner ear. Unlike hearing aids, which make sounds louder, cochlear implants do the work of damaged parts of the inner ear (cochlea) to provide sound signals to the brain.

Jacob likes this.
  6. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I'm deaf in my left ear and very excited about maybe getting it fixed one day...I have trouble in crowds. But this guy is a tool, is there any other word for it?

emeryk3 likes this.
  7. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

We're coming a long ways in biotech, especially in integrating that technology with our CNS and being able to interpret brain activity. Meaning things like giving sensation back to amputees with prosthetic limbs, vision to people who have lost it, and even the ability to communicate via thoughts with those who have more extreme cases of impairment. I think we should really be considering the pros of all of that before we start worrying about consumer level biotech and it's implications (which to be honest is inevitable anyways).

Raku likes this.
  8. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

"I would address one general admonition to all; that they consider what are the true ends of knowledge, and that they seek it not either for pleasure of the mind, or for contention, or for superiority to others, or for profit, or fame, or power, or any of these inferior things but for the benefit and use of life; and they perfect and govern it in charity." - Francis Bacon

It's science at it's purest imo. Not something we can afford to be cynical about.

Raku likes this.