Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Houndmouth Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matthewconte, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Awesome alt-country rock band. I know there aren't many people on here that listen to them, but Katie Toupin just left the band, and it's incredibly upsetting to me, and I wanted to talk about that.

Serenity Now likes this.
  2. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Just heard about this. Myself and a few of my friends are so shocked/bummed. What a surprise.

Wonder what caused it. Seems so sudden.

3. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I mean I'm glad we got 2 albums and I've seen them a good 10 times, but man, they were on the verge. She's such an integral part of the band, and I was really looking forward to future albums and shows.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm sorry to hear that. I enjoyed their last one a fair amount. Agree that they were on the verge of something.

5. Serenity Now

Will be a wait and see at this point. I heard that they brought out some brass players on this current tour. I plan to see them in Pittsburgh in June and maybe Philadelphia in a couple weeks.

6. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I've already got tickets to see them in Philly. This is going to be my dad and brother's first Houndmouth show.

7. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Man, I just discover this band today and now I find out they might be done(?). Or at the very least, an integral part of the band is gone. I hate when that happens haha

Serenity Now likes this.
  8. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Yeah they're one of those bands where it's kind of a head scratcher as to why they're not bigger. That last record was just jam after jam and they bring it live. It is a real drag that Katie left, but I think they'll soldier on and hopefully make some more good records. It'll be interesting to see what they wear on stage now that they can't raid her closet.

Serenity Now likes this.
  9. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

They were still pretty glam-rocked out in terms of their outfits in my first post-Katie concert. Matt had something pinkish on his temples just outside his eyes.

They also had a horn section, which sounded pretty good at times - during "Palmyra" specifically, but no female vocals + no Katie dancing + none of her songs played = worse experience. Still great, just not as great.

10. Shit I didn't realize the woman in this band left. That sucks. These guys are from my neck of the woods.

Serenity Now likes this.
  11. Serenity Now

It is a huge let down (and mystery) as to why Katie left. Some suspect she may be trying to go solo. It seemed to be a very abrupt departure as it took place in the middle of a tour and it was publicized very haphazardly through social media posts.

The social media posts were done in such hurry that the band had to keep coming back with edits to make sure they included key messages like, "yes, we are still playing all of our scheduled shows," and "yes, this is effective immediately, Katie will no longer be playing any future concerts with the band," etc.

The good news is that I have read a few reviews of their live show SINCE Katie left, and they have been very positive. If I find some good ones, I will post them here.

I have tickets to see them in early June in Pittsburgh, PA. Curious to see how they fill out the set as far as her parts/songs go. Also curious to see what direction the band goes from here. I have faith that they could bring in a cool replacement or operate as a three piece and still make great music.

Can't believe they are not huge yet.

12. Serenity Now

Are you an Indiana native as well? Whereabouts? I was born & raised in Valparaiso.

13. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

they play these guys at work. i like the songs i know enough. ill need to listen more

14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Whoa, Katie left? I don't follow them on social media, but their albums have been fantastic. Such a bummer.

15. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

When I saw them in Philly, they had a new keyboardist and two sax players. None of those guys had mics, and they used a couple songs they don't usually play like "Palmyra," "Halfway to Hardinsburg," a Neil Young cover, and a new song.

16. No sir, I live in Louisville, KY which is directly across the river from New Albany, where these guys are from

17. Serenity Now

Been to Louisville a couple of times for My Morning Jacket shows. I always enjoy myself and the people down there. Great town.

18. Nice, MMJ are probably my favorite band. Are you going to either of the shows later this week at Iroquois? I'm going to both.

19. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

So the girl left this band for good? Huge bummer.

20. Serenity Now

Just saw this, ha. No, I didn't attend.

21. Serenity Now

Yes. She dyed her hair blue and is trying to make it solo...maybe? I don't know.

22. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, she's made a lot of social media posts about how terrible her time in the band was, how unheard she felt, disrespected...actually...here's the big one:

23. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Which is sort of crazy to think about. Earlier this year when my cousin came out as trans, I wrote to him that to hear the news is saddening because it means that this whole time you've felt hidden/hindered/not comfortable but it's also so happy because now you know what you are and you can be open and comfortable with your life. I feel a similar way about Katie when I hear this because I love Houndmouth with her in it, so hearing that she wasn't happy there makes me sad, but I'm at least happy for her that she's free from that.

24. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Wish i knew even more. I wonder why she was so unhappy in the band.

25. Serenity Now

Anyone else catching these NYE shows in Chicago?